Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

New to brewing

I just received my white house honey ale extract kit today and I was wondering what I need to refrigerate. I know I have to refrigerate the yeast but what about the honey and the malt extract? I’m pretty sure the hops are fine.

Yeast in the refrigerator, hops in the freezer. I never refrigerated anything else.

welcome to the hobby. and welcome to the forum. stop by with any questions. I have to say the folks on here are some of the best ones going, in both knowledge and willingness to help.

I know I have asked just about any question there is, and when I haven’t I have seen others ask just about all the others.

anyway, welcome again to the hobby/obsession

If you don’t plan on brewing within the next month you can refrigerate your extract to help keep it fresh. Make sure you take it a day in advance of brewing. This will help get the extract out of the container.
Grains you will want to stay dry. I use air tight containers to store grains. This too is if you don’t plan on brewing for awhile. With shipping costs its common for brewers to buy 3 or 4 kits.

Another tip is to put your container of malt extract in a sink full of hot water while you’re steeping your specialty grains and then heating your brew water to a boil. It will flow and mix better that way and minimizes the temperature drop after you remove your water from heat (to prevent scorching) prior to mixing in the extract.

Thanks everyone for the help. The brewing community seems really nice, but hey we are all here enjoying our beers so it makes sense. I’m actually planning on brewing tomorrow and hoping everything goes well. I’m pretty nervous about it but I feel like once I get the hang of it the taste of my beers will get better.

Don’t over think it… its rather easy. Word of advice: get your techniques down before modifying kits. If there is an issue it will be easier to pin point what went wrong. If you modify kits without sound techniques its hard to tell if its a brewing flaw or an ingredient flaw.

Keep a log/notes with things like temps, times, amounts of things, yeast strains, hop styles, dates,
how long you did this or that, tastes and smells, as a reference for the future. You build your experience on what worked and what didn’t, and it helps to drink some when you make it…cheers!

[quote=“Old Guy”]Keep a log/notes with things like temps, times, amounts of things, yeast strains, hop styles, dates,
how long you did this or that, tastes and smells, as a reference for the future. You build your experience on what worked and what didn’t, and it helps to drink some when you make it…cheers![/quote]
Some… don’t get shit faced or you will miss important steps. :lol:

Probably the three most important things to research thoroughly and master: cleaning, sanitation and fermentation temperature control.
Don’t stop research on these issues and master them before any other techniques. There are articles, books, podcasts, forums etc that all have something to offer. :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com