Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

New To Brew

Hey All,

I am looking to get into the Home Brew culture. I have not purchased anything yet but have been doing all sorts of research on the internet. Its kind of hard to know what you are looking for when there is so much different information out there. I came across this kit on CL the other day. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/2946106717.html I am thinking about going to check it out this weekend. Can anyone take a look at it and give me some advice on whether its a good place to start or possibly suggest another kit? Everything looks to be there to get started. Pros/Cons?

BACKGROUND
For my first brew I would like to do some sort of IPA and eventually I would like to get multiple brews going at once.

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Bennera

That seems like a reasonable price, if you go look at it make sure the fermenting bucket aren’t all scratched up an everything looks to be cleaned properly. If you buy it all you’ll need is a kit or 2 from our host:

:cheers:

That’s a good deal and a good start. You may want to look for a bigger brew pot though. 4 gal is very small. I wouldn’t go smaller than 6gal and even then you’re talking about a partial boil and topping off with water at the end. Not an ideal practice, but it will work for now. Eventually (sooner than later) you’ll be getting into full boils and will want at the very least a 7 gal pot. Look for aluminum. They’re much cheaper and a good starting point. No need to go spend a ton of money on a 10gal stainless steel pot right away. Unless of course you want to spend that kind of money on a pot. Cooking supply stores are a good place to find reasonably priced big pots

If you plan on brewing outside a good way to start is to look for a turkey frier that comes with a pot at home depot. They sell a decent 30qrt aluminum pot with frier for something like $70. Occasionally they go on sale for $40. It’s what I use and am now doing BIAB (Brew in a bag), all grain, full boils outside. Beats the hell out of stove top brewing!

I’d think about getting the deluxe starter kit from NB for the same price. No bottles(those are free though, just clean them and take off the labels after your finished drinking any pry off commercial brew), no pot, but IMO you’ll want to upgrade your pot anyways after your first time brewing with a 4 gallon pot(like mentioned before, go with a turkey fryer set up and your pot and burner are included), and no bottle tree(they are very nice to have, but not necessary)…but EVERYTHING else you need is included and NEW.

I bought this when I first started and was very happy that I did, and now even after a bunch of upgrades, I still use almost everything that came with the kit

[quote=“thome9”]I’d think about getting the deluxe starter kit from NB for the same price.
I bought this when I first started and was very happy that I did, and now even after a bunch of upgrades, I still use almost everything that came with the kit[/quote]

+1 i also like the idea of pramary in a carboy, a little harder to clean but no question about the seal.

[quote=“Don Cuz”][quote=“thome9”]I’d think about getting the deluxe starter kit from NB for the same price.
I bought this when I first started and was very happy that I did, and now even after a bunch of upgrades, I still use almost everything that came with the kit[/quote]

+1 i also like the idea of pramary in a carboy, a little harder to clean but no question about the seal.[/quote]

+1 on the carboy primary. It’s really cool to watch your first few brews ferment. Wait, what am I saying? I’ve brewed probably 120 batches now, and am still like a little kid watching the fermentation process.

[quote=“bennera”]I am looking to get into the Home Brew culture. [/quote]No offense intended, but I threw up a little in my mouth when I read this… :wink:

Yea the pot size was the only thing I was concerned about. If I do purchase that kit from CL, I am definitely going to upgrade the pot. Might have to take a look into the outdoor turkey fryer like dobe12 suggested. Thanks for the info!

I would go with the used stuff. The kit from NB has 2 fermentors, the CL deal has 3. 150 label free bottles is nothing to sneeze at either. Plus you get the book, tubing, bottling tree and pot which may or may not be useful. If not for brewing, a 4 gal pot is good for lots of other cooking related things. It really is a good deal. Just go get yourself some oxyclean free or PBW along with Starsan and clean and sanitize everything real well and you’ll be fine.

Here’s the home depot turkey frier I use.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... -202038907

$65… but if you keep an eye on it and check back once a week or so, you’ll see it go down to about $40. Huge score at that price!

P.S. Welcome to the obsession of home brewing! :cheers:

[quote=“dobe12”]I would go with the used stuff. The kit from NB has 2 fermentors, the CL deal has 3. 150 label free bottles is nothing to sneeze at either. Plus you get the book, tubing, bottling tree and pot which may or may not be useful. If not for brewing, a 4 gal pot is good for lots of other cooking related things. It really is a good deal. [/quote]I second. If the stuff on CL is in good shape, which it appears to be from the picture, it’s a better buy than NB’s deluxe kit.

Check Walmart for turkey fryers too and Menard’s home centers, if they’re in your area, sometimes have them cheap.

I agree that this is a good deal if the equipment is in good condition.

About the pot: if you plan on starting with extract, I wouldn’t rush out and buy a larger pot. With a larger pot you may find you have trouble cooling the wort down before pitching the yeast. Not only would you need to cool a larger volume, but the pot itself may be too large to fit in an icebath in your sink. I brewed for years with a 4-gal pot before switching to all-grain brewing.

[quote="+1 on the carboy primary. It’s really cool to watch your first few brews ferment. Wait, what am I saying? I’ve brewed probably 120 batches now, and am still like a little kid watching the fermentation process.[/quote]

the greatest hobby ever, i love to see the action too. like a kid in a candy store when i smell that fresh fermentation and see those yeasties at work.

Awesome! Can’t wait to get started. Anyone ever try Clone (extract) kits before?

I do them a lot. Austinhomebrew.com has hundreds of clone recipes, and I’ve brewed quite a few of them. Almost every clone recipe has your choice of extract, mini-mash or all grain.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php ... 178_452_43

Paul

Just some tips that have helped me. 35 batches in and still learning.
1, Use this forum, The people here are great and offer some very sound advice.
2, I’ve brewed the Caribou Slobber, John Q. Adams clone kits. The CS is dead nuts on and a very good kit. the JQA is different, but in some ways better than the commercial version.
3, Try some easy kits that are ready in 4 weeks to start, from personal experience you’ll be opening the first one after 3 days in the bottle and wondering what you did wrong(probably nothing).
4, I find it nice to have one or two conditioning, one or two fermenting with a couple finished so I’m not rushing the process.
5, When you drill holes into your refrigerator for your kegerator remember it’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
Good luck, Have fun, ask questions.
Tapped: Patersbier, ESB
Bottled: SS Minnow Mild, Chistmas Winter Warmer(only three left)
Keg Priming: Dunkelweizen, petite Saison
Primary: Kolsch
Secondary: Belgian Dubbel, Next Christmas Barley Wine
On deck: First all Grain Caribou Slobber (third time)

[quote=“flytyer”]5, When you drill holes into your refrigerator for your kegerator remember it’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
Good luck, Have fun, ask questions.
[/quote]

very good advice, i will remember that for future referance. i have a funny feeling i may have some taps sticking out of the garage refrigerator soon.

[quote=“thome9”]I’d think about getting the deluxe starter kit from NB for the same price. No bottles(those are free though, just clean them and take off the labels after your finished drinking any pry off commercial brew), no pot, but IMO you’ll want to upgrade your pot anyways after your first time brewing with a 4 gallon pot(like mentioned before, go with a turkey fryer set up and your pot and burner are included), and no bottle tree(they are very nice to have, but not necessary)…but EVERYTHING else you need is included and NEW.

+1

I love my NB Deluxe kit and somehow I always seem to have plenty of bottles…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com