New to All grain brewing

I am doing my first all grain recipe ever and brewing Smashing pumpkin ale. I am using a 10 gallon cooler for my mash tun. Since i am all grain brewing for the first time, here are my questions:

1. I am using a straining bag for my mash tun. Do i still sparge even though i have a straining bag?
  2. If sparging, how long do i do this for?
  3. What is the ratio of water to grain i should use? How much sparge water do i need?
  4. How much wort should i have when i start my boil?

Thank to all for answering my questions.

:cheers:

[quote=“g2sat25”]I am doing my first all grain recipe ever and brewing Smashing pumpkin ale. I am using a 10 gallon cooler for my mash tun. Since i am all grain brewing for the first time, here are my questions:

1. I am using a straining bag for my mash tun. Do i still sparge even though i have a straining bag?[/quote]Yes, to rinse out some of the residual sugars (fermentables)

[quote=“g2sat25”]2. If sparging, how long do i do this for? [/quote]Until you have collected the amount of wort you want to start boiling with.

[quote=“g2sat25”]3. What is the ratio of water to grain i should use? How much sparge water do i need?[/quote]1:3 to 1 or thereabouts. Enough to meet your preboil gravity.

[quote=“g2sat25”]4. How much wort should i have when i start my boil?

Thank to all for answering my questions.

:cheers: [/quote]About 7 gallons

I will be adding two cans of organic pumpkin to my all grain smashing pumpkin , do I have to add 2 additional pounds of 2 rahr two row pale? Or is that only if ur doing am extract kit?

Nope, you’ll have plenty of enzymes in the mash to convert some of the starches in the pumpkin. You might want to add some rice hulls, though, to make it easier to drain your tun.

I recommend you try batch sparging. It’s much easier than fly sparging and you get equal results. See www.dennybrew.com