New to all grain and have some questions

I used a half pound. They don’t change anything flavor wise and they are cheap so if your worried add more.

No. Distilled is pretty much a net zero on salts. You’ll need to build up the water for your specific grist bill. You’ll need to use something like Brunwater to do so.

1 Like

Ok, well the problem I am having with Brunwater is I dont have excel on this computer so I cant do much with it, I have excel reader but it doesnt let me use the drop down menus to change anything. But as I typed that I remembered I have excel on my work laptop that I just so happen to have with me so ill boot it up and mess around with it.

“Open Office”, free, has a spreadsheet program, .ods file, that people have used with Bru’n Water. Braukaiser may have developed the software using Open Office.

Anyone have any experience with saving the .xls file format in .ods?

Gee whiz flars, you are way ahead technically. I still have tube amps, plus all this digital stuff is complykated, now wheres spell check?… Sneezles61

“Open Office” is now “Libre Office”. It’s still free. Libre will open XLS and XLSX files by double-clicking on the file. You can configure Libre Office to save files as .xls and xlsx files: In the menu bar at the to of the window click on “Tools”, then in the drop-down box click on “Options”; click on the down-pointing triangle next to “Load/Save”, then on “General”; select “Spreadsheet” as the “Document type” and select a version of Excel.

Ok, so I completed my first all grain batch yesterday. It was fun and seemed to go well but I ended up missing my gravity and losing too much wort to evaporation.
The kit said the OG was supposed to be 1.049, but I ended up at 1.059, and I only got 4 gallons of wort instead of 5. Will that 1 less gallon cause my OG to be that much higher? Being off by 1 gallon and that much gravity, what do you expect the beer to come out like? I hope I didnt ruin it and it is still good and drikable. I know where I went wrong, I should have started the boil with at least 7 gallons of water but I only did 6. It was very cold outside so evaporation rate was probably higher. How do you all think it will come out?

You could top off with water to make up the extra you evaporated.

Too late now as it is already fermenting away!!

Just punched it into Brewers friend and It says to add .82 gallons to get if down to .049. Since you already pitched I would just let it fly. You will have less beer but if will be stronger. I’m sure if will taste fine.

This is 3/4 of the battle with AG… learning YOUR system. I can’t tell you YOUR a boil off rate, loss in MT, etc. Can only brew a few batches and figure it out.

2 Likes

Should be perfectly fine–I would not worry about it in the slightest.

So I’m re-reading this post and , well fer me, working temps and water volumes down to 1000th, even 100th of a degree/ounce is really WWAAYY out there. A 10th… doable! I’m not criticizing, just being realistic. I’ll bet I leave that 100th of an ounce clinging to me buckets! I like the idea of keeping this simple, its worked well me! Sneezles61

1 Like

Another reason I don’t use a digital thermometer

1 Like