New setup pics

Just another setup. Using a mash tun as a brew pot. With this system I hold the bag in the strainer and do a quick sparge. It holds the water for a few minuets while it drains. Not a batch and not a fly. After it drains I lift the bag which compresse for a hands off squeeze. When done I swing the grain over my wheelbarrow and off to the compost pile. This was a ten gallon batch but that’s a 20 gallon pot so I could probably squeeze in baybe a 15 gallon.

Actually got the pictures reversed. And you can’t see the feet. By the way I got a little more than 75% efficiency.

Looks like a nice little setup. Perfect for what you’re doing!

Sweet! And nice hat too. I got a fedora for brew day as well. Cheers.

yes its my favorite brew hat for the cooler weather. Ive tried brewing without my hat and I can definitely taste the difference.

1 Like

So, when brewing a dark brew, a dark hat? :lol: Sneezles61

Great setup!

Have you ever tried twisting the bag as opposed to ‘squeezing’ it? Not sure how I figure that out, but a few brews back, I realized it basically did the same thing (think of wringing out a rag as opposed to squeezing it). Its a great BIAB hack!

[quote=“Pietro”]Great setup!

Have you ever tried twisting the bag as opposed to ‘squeezing’ it? Not sure how I figure that out, but a few brews back, I realized it basically did the same thing (think of wringing out a rag as opposed to squeezing it). Its a great BIAB hack![/quote]

Basically I pull the basket and rest it on the pot to drain while I start boiling then I do my sparge. The basket and bag hold the water long enough to do a quick sparge. Then I grab the bag and pull it out of the pot and let it hang and drip while the kettle starts to boil. I did give it a little twist. You think I should really squeeze or twist it harder?

[quote=“Brew Cat”][quote=“Pietro”]Great setup!

Have you ever tried twisting the bag as opposed to ‘squeezing’ it? Not sure how I figure that out, but a few brews back, I realized it basically did the same thing (think of wringing out a rag as opposed to squeezing it). Its a great BIAB hack![/quote]

Basically I pull the basket and rest it on the pot to drain while I start boiling then I do my sparge. The basket and bag hold the water long enough to do a quick sparge. Then I grab the bag and pull it out of the pot and let it hang and drip while the kettle starts to boil. I did give it a little twist. You think I should really squeeze or twist it harder?[/quote]

Do you feel your excellent efficiency is due to sparging? I did a sparge for the first time on my BIAB this weekend and got right at 75% as well. The guys on the BIAB forum scoff at sparging but I really think that is what’s giving me better efficiency. I also squeeze my bag pretty well. I plan to do the same as you for my 10 gallon batches

I bet you could make a killer sour by tossing that hat into the chilled wort for a few minutes! :mrgreen:

I bet you could make a killer sour by tossing that hat into the chilled wort for a few minutes! :mrgreen: [/quote]

Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that . Maybe when I change to my spring hat. Need to build up the yeast a bit.

[quote=“Scalded Dog”][quote=“Brew Cat”][quote=“Pietro”]Great setup!

Basically I pull the basket and rest it on the pot to drain while I start boiling then I do my sparge. The basket and bag hold the water long enough to do a quick sparge. Then I grab the bag and pull it out of the pot and let it hang and drip while the kettle starts to boil. I did give it a little twist. You think I should really squeeze or twist it harder?[/quote]

Do you feel your excellent efficiency is due to sparging? I did a sparge for the first time on my BIAB this weekend and got right at 75% as well. The guys on the BIAB forum scoff at sparging but I really think that is what’s giving me better efficiency. I also squeeze my bag pretty well. I plan to do the same as you for my 10 gallon batches[/quote]

Let them scoff. Some on this site scoff at biab.with my new set up I was cleaned up snd had 10 gallons fermenting in 4 hrs without even trying.

Brew Cat and Scalded Dog, I say scoff at anyone who tells you their way is the only way. If it works for you do it that way.

Amen to that Josh!!! I’m lovin this BIAB stuff and I’m getting better efficiency than fly sparging with out all the extra work. I probably shouldn’t crow too loudly until after I’ve done a few more batches though.

BTW Brewcat your little brew house is really cool…tell us more about it.

Yes, the brew shack. You can’t really see it but behind the pot there is a slop sink with hot and cold running water that is fed by RV hoses that are potable water approved. It is key. I can draw water , run chilling water, do an ice bath and wash pots all in the brew house. It’s not far from my basement window so in the future I want to drain through a counter flow chiller to fermenters in my basement brew room/bar so I never lift anything except a mug and occasionally a keg. :cheers:

Very cool setup Cat!

You know I’m a big proponent of BIAB w/sparge.

You inspired me to try 10 gallon BIAB

Brewing today. 10 gallon batch of IPA. Here’s the setup. Kettle on the left is MT/BK, kettle on the right is HLT. You can see the hoist above for pulling the bag.

EDIT: interesting I thought it would imbed the pic from the link…guess not.

I need a better burner for the bigger batches in winter. I have 2 bayou classic burners and they’re not bad but use a lot of propane to keep the bigger batch boiling. Just not sure if I want to invest in a burner for this setup or go indoors and electric.

I can jusssst barely make my electric range bring a 10 gallon BK with 7-8 gallons of pre boil wort reach a rolling boil. I also have to tug the electric range out from the wall due to overhanging microwave/fan. I span the two left burners and all works fine.