New Recipe

I am on board with Brew Cat, the yeast needs something to help it attenuate as best it can… Even if you use an English to leave some of its character, there shouldn’t be too much malt… Let the yeast and, of course, the hops make the statement… I brewed an IPA this W/E and put in #2 pounds sugar… I’m just trying to dry it out a bit… And see where there hops can lead my taste buds… 1.067… Yeah, you can kick me in the shins for using 001 yeast… I’ll go back to the English I used years ago to find a bit more character… Sneezles61

I’m going to be that guy… I think the higher mash temp is a good idea for a “session” IPA, since you’ll want something to boost the body with the reduced OG. Sounds like the hop bill is comparable to the full strength version, so I think it’s a good move. Kind of like when the English started adding crystal malts to their beers during and after ww1, to compensate for the reduced gravities from wartime shortages.

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, the cones got me. As soon as I put the first dose in I realized I’d goofed. LOL Volume to the fermenter was less than expected. On the bright side, we did put the hops in bags this time so trub loss was pretty low.

I know we made beer but time will tell how good. Again, I really appreciate the input. Being a relative newb, the thoughts and advice you guys put out there have already helped us move way forward with what we’re doing. Very cool! :sunglasses:

When I do whole hops from my homegrown I scale my recipe up to a about 6 gallons to get a full 5+ in the fermenter. Makes sense what @porkchop says about the body if that’s what you want I just prefer my APA drier than an EIPA.

Something else we figured out is that we could’ve squeezed more wort out of the hops than we got. Without thinking about it we drained off the kettle leaving the saturated hop bags behind in the trub. When we pulled them out and tossed them they were saturated. Live and learn! LOL

1 Like

I like the way you and your boys are hands on and asking questions that relate directly to your experience… Nothing will replace that! Sneezles61

1 Like