New mash tun build

Denny, its the best thing happening in beer. Get on board! :wink:

Denny, its the best thing happening in beer. Get on board! :wink: [/quote]

I’m thinking about it. just a tad confused on one thing.

http://www.brewheads.com/batch.php

Why does this one calculator recommend a MO with 17.5# of grains in a ten gallon batch. But not in a 29# of grains.

Both with 1.25 per #

For example.

with the 17.5# batch.

Strike Water Vol : 5.47 gal Strike Water Temp : 168.4 F
Mash Out Water Vol : 2.97 gal Mash Out Addition Temp : 204.9 F
Attainable Mashout w/ 212F/100C Water : 171.3 F
First Running Vol : 6.25 gal
Sparge Water Vol : 6.25 gal Sparge Water Temperature : 177.1 F

I understand that you want to be close to 50/50 R1/R2. This makes sense to me.

But on the 29# batch: It isn’t 50/50. And there is no MO volume. It is 43%/57%

Strike Water Vol : 9.06 gal Strike Water Temp : 168.4 F
Mash Out Water Vol : 0.00 gal Mash Out Addition Temp : 0.0 F
Attainable Mashout w/ 212F/100C Water : 0.0 F
First Running Vol : 5.44 gal
Sparge Water Vol : 7.06 gal Sparge Water Temperature : 180.9 F

Why would I not want to do a 0.81 gallon mashout. Is this just do to the fact, that this volume would never get me into a mashout time, so they just recomend that it all comes from the Sparge water( second running volume)?

I do enjoy the thought that you could do either… why pigeon hole yourself. Experiment and you will get your answer. I myself do batch, but some new comers needs it to be somewhat simple and as they catch on to figure volumes,then maybe batch works…B-}

This is a guess on my part, but I suspect that the reason is that the difference in volume between the two runnings is small enough compared to the total volme of runnings that it doesn’t really matter.
Some argue that a mashout doesn’t make sense at all when batch sparging, as the reason for the mashout is to lock-in your conversion profile at the end of the mash, and stop further conversion during the very long lautering process that a traditional fly sparge needs. Fly sparging without the mashout, the enzyme activity would continue for an additional 1-2 hours and you could end up with a very thin, dry beer. With batch sparging, you are boiling within 30 - 45 minutes of the end of mash, so not a problem.

muddywater, you’re really overthinking this! Mash with whatever ratio you like. I go around 1.6 qt./lb. Measure how much wort you get after running off your mash. Subtract that from the amount you want to boil. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. After doing that a few times, you’ll have a handle on absorption amounts for your system and you can use those numbers in the future.

So the cooler finally made it in today. And I put everything together during lunch.

1/2" ball valve

1/2" tee

6 foot stainless steel braided supply line,

Same line without being stretched out. I may end up needing a longer line if I decide to do batch sparging.

I still have all the part numbers if anyone is interested.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Same line without being stretched out. I may end up needing a longer line if I decide to do batch sparging.

I still have all the part numbers if anyone is interested.[/quote]

Definitely not! What you have there is already longer than you need for batch sparging. For fly sparging, you’ll need a way to make sure the braid stays put.

Denny, that was a typo on my part. I meant to say it may need longer if I decide to continue fly sparging.

Some solid copper wire is an easy way to make the line stay where you want it. Just insert the wire into the braid, then bend it however you want.

Thanks for the idea.

I think I will do that.

Thanks for the idea.

I think I will do that.[/quote]

For batch sparging, that’s really unnecessary. Won’t hurt, but I hate expending effort for no return! :slight_smile:

No one pointed it out, but isn’t that first manifold pictured positioned upside down?

If you mean the slots should be facing up, no. Down is correct.

So first run with the new gear. Hit 80% efficiency and took out at least 45 minutes switching from fly to batch sparging.

Converted. Not sure why I was always against it so much. Was just always worried about losing efficiency. Didn’t drop at all.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]So first run with the new gear. Hit 80% efficiency and took out at least 45 minutes switching from fly to batch sparging.

Converted. Not sure why I was always against it so much. Was just always worried about losing efficiency. Didn’t drop at all.[/quote]

Congrats! The whole idea of batch sparging being less efficient has always baffled me. Sure, in a perfect world, it may be for some batch sizes. But nobody I know lives in a perfect world!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]So first run with the new gear. Hit 80% efficiency and took out at least 45 minutes switching from fly to batch sparging.

Converted. Not sure why I was always against it so much. Was just always worried about losing efficiency. Didn’t drop at all.[/quote]

Congrats! The whole idea of batch sparging being less efficient has always baffled me. Sure, in a perfect world, it may be for some batch sizes. But nobody I know lives in a perfect world![/quote]
I suspect fly sparging has the potential to be more efficient, but you need to have your lautering geometry spot on to achieve it. As you say, I don’t live in that world, but I can see commercial breweries taking extreme steps to maximize efficiency.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]So first run with the new gear. Hit 80% efficiency and took out at least 45 minutes switching from fly to batch sparging.

Congrats! The whole idea of batch sparging being less efficient has always baffled me. Sure, in a perfect world, it may be for some batch sizes. But nobody I know lives in a perfect world![/quote]
I suspect fly sparging has the potential to be more efficient, but you need to have your lautering geometry spot on to achieve it. As you say, I don’t live in that world, but I can see commercial breweries taking extreme steps to maximize efficiency.[/quote]

Agreed…which is one of the best things about being a homebrewer, not a commercial brewer!

Grant I wish I would have known you bought that cooler. I have the same one and opted to design it to batch spathe similar to Denny’s setup. Been using it for over a year with great results!

Thanks for heads up. Ya, dick. Haha. You going to be at the next meeting?

Yeah buddy! Not bringing anything though. You?