New Kegger with a noob problem

This was it, the schematic was very helpful as this was the first time I had started to take a keg (or outlet) apart. And when I did, I found a lot of funk on the spring. I had to clean it one or more times before it finally started to flow.

Thank you all very much.

4 Likes

Get used to itā€¦ I disassemble mine quit abit for cleaning and maintenanceā€¦ Just something that needs to be doneā€¦ Sneezles61

ā€¦and for sanitizing. :skull_crossbones:

1 Like

I agree. Itā€™s a pretty simple. CO2 pressurizes the keg, you open the faucet and the pressure pushes beer out.

The only times my system has ever not poured is when hops or a mesh bag got stuck in the dip tube or the CO2 tank was empty.

I would invest in a couple of spare QDs (quick disconnects). You can never have too many and the spares are handy to run cleaner or sanitizer through. I have also heard mistakenly swapping the gas and liquid QDs can damage them but I have done it and they still work.

Most ball lock kegs have a slot cut or dimple in the handle of the gas in so you can find it under bad lighting like in a bar. The few I have that do not, I labeled with a Sharpie IN/OUT so I donā€™t screw up. Another helpful reminder is grey=gas black=beer. Keg lube or just dunking the QD in water first make them go on easier.

2 Likes

I think the key is to not dump loose hops in the keg. I had a bag break once clogged the dip tube but never got as far as the quick connect. Stuff happens

I dry hopped a cannonball. Bad idea not to contain them. Next time Iā€™ll bag 'em and secure 'em.

My claim to shame: kegging day, I thought I had a tea ball for hops, but I was mistaken. I sanitized a ziplock, poked some holes in it, loaded it up, and tossed it in. My holes were a little big.

3 Likes

Those tea or spice balls have always worked best for me with pellet hops. They contain the hops and donā€™t get sucked up in the dip tube. When the keg is empty just dump them out, open them up and tap the spent hops out into a garbage bag.

I have noticed that the clasps corrode and have to be replaced. I just use a piece of SS wire.

1 Like

DONT fill the tea ball fullā€¦ The hops will expandā€¦ I didā€¦ onceā€¦ There where hops that didnā€™t get wet! What a waste of some perfectly good hopsā€¦ Sneezles61

I just use a one gallon paint strainer bag put sanitized marbles in for weight and use unflavored dental floss to suspend the bag in the keg works fine.

1 Like