New hops to me

So, on a whim, I picked up a pound of Apollo hops and half a pound of Rakau hops.

Anyone have any experience with either of these 2?

Thanks & Good Luck

I made a Rakau Pale, and used Rakau at the 10 minute mark for a Patersbier. I thought the Pale Ale was okay, I think the bitterness was a bit harsh, and the aroma a little underwhelming. Nonetheless, very pleasant. The patersbier I thought it added an unbelievable aroma. It was only .25 oz, and with some Celeia, but I do think it added to the beer. I thought it had a floral, light stone fruit aroma to it. I would be interested in doing more Belgians with it.

Hope that helps.

Good info. 8)

I was thinking of doing an all Apollo PA just to get a feel & then maybe blending with Columbus on another batch only because I have a bunch it.

Rakau… just what exactly does stonefruit taste like? I’ve heard subdued Amarillo is a realistic comparison.

Sounds like it needs to be blended with Simcoe to me! :lol:

Thanks

Haven’t tried Rakau, but stonefruit are fruits of the Prunus genus (plums, peaches, cherries, apricots). They’re called stone fruit because of the pit or “stone” in them.

[quote=“Duder”]Good info. 8)

I was thinking of doing an all Apollo PA just to get a feel & then maybe blending with Columbus on another batch only because I have a bunch it.

Rakau… just what exactly does stonefruit taste like? I’ve heard subdued Amarillo is a realistic comparison.

Sounds like it needs to be blended with Simcoe to me! :lol:

Thanks[/quote]

I think it kind of tastes like Saaz, but with some apricot to it. But yeah, +1 to erockrph’s answer. I’ve been brewing for 2 years, and I have to admit that I am just using Amarillo for the first time today, so I can’t give you a good answer as to how they compare. I could definitely see it paired with Simcoe, though.