New here

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow home brewers. Im new here but have been brewing beer for a year , and mead for a bit longer…i now live in ND but i was living in portland OR…beer meca of the US…now the great plains of 40 below and the guy at the local brew shop tells me that yeast makes no differance in the flavor or style of beer…i guess that means that northern brewer gets my buisness now!!

Welcome! Everybody knows that yeast has no flavor impact… and he owns/operates a brew shop?

yeah…slim pickins here folks,i guess the only yeast i need is a 4$ packet of dry nottingham.pffft i dont wanna talk too much trash,I still have to run down there in emergencys…haha

what part of North Dakota are you at? I’m stationed at Ellsworth AFB, SD and have no local home brew shops. We do have Firehouse Brewing, which is a restaraunt that it also a brew house. Just wondering how far of a drive i would have? I’ve thought of making a trip to Northern Brewer in Minnesota, plus the wife wants to go to the mall of America, but its a pretty long drive.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay with us.

Staple & Spice in Rapid has very limited supplies. but there’s always Pour Brothers in Gillette. they’re really good guys, Nate & AJ. if you do make it out to them, tell 'em “Andy’s doing ok in MN.”

im here in minot

Just caught wind of this thread. First off, ignore the local home brew supplier…he knows little. There are a few avid home brewers in Minot and more and more non BMC beers can be found around town. Granted, it is not like Portland for sure. If you are interested in connecting with local brewing enthusiasts look for Minot(nd)Area Homebrewers on Facebook. A little Facebook group in lieu of a full out club.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the upper Midwest!

There is also the Muddy River Mashers in Bismark

. Not sure what they have for a HBS. Its about a 2 hr drive.

Futhark, i know your feeling. Upon starting to brew, i quickly realized that the local HBS store sucked, they actually went out of business a month later. Making it worse, the local home brew club sucks as well. They communicate about as well as a group of mutes! I will either have to move or start a rival club once i get better at this.

Check the OP date. It doesn’t look like he’s been here in four months.

So… OP, if you read this… welcome back! :lol:

Welcome, FUTHARK. I know the feeling. My LHBS has mostly expired yeast at his store. Like you, I pretty much go there for emergencies only.

Paul

[quote=“paultuttle”]
Welcome, FUTHARK. I know the feeling. My LHBS has mostly expired yeast at his store. Like you, I pretty much go there for emergencies only.

Paul[/quote]who’s your LHBS?

My local HBS owner tried to talk me out of going all grain because he thinks the beer just comes out watery. When I did go all grain he let me pay for his whole pallet shipping charges to have a sack for myself. I only go in for short notice items nowadays. It’s the same shop as FUTHARK’s local.

I am lucky. I have 2 brew shops to choose from within a half hour either direction of me. I have found the staff and owners extremely helpful, although not always as knowledgable as what I get from the mainstays on this forum. NB and More beer are always back ups for me, but they have such good shipping prices, that sometimes I just go with having stuff shipped. I have never had a problem with a shipment, but rely on yeast from the local shops.

:cheers:

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“paultuttle”]

Paul[/quote]who’s your LHBS?[/quote]

Depot Street Merchants. He works for the railroad, so his store is open 1 1/2 hrs on weekdays, and 5 hrs on Saturday. One can only move so much product with such limited hours. Also, very few in Cheyenne know that store even exists.