New guy questions...i know, boring

Hey guys,

Caribou slobber has been in the primary for a couple days now, had to use the blow off hose, and it seems to be done with now, is it OK to switch back to the bubblier or can I finish it off with the hose?

Also, for any that have done the caribou before, since all the action has begun to slow down, the wort has begun to turn from the somewhat milk chocolate brown to a dark brown, and that Dark brown is slowly changing the whole way down the bottle. Whats the deal with this?

Any comments would help
Thanks posting.php?mode=post&f=1#

Yes you can put the air lock back on.

The change in color is the yeast and other solids dropping out of suspension.

Just a guess, you fermented it at room temps, low to mid 70’s? Try to keep the temps down. Se the link in my signature line for ideas on how to do that.

Let it sit for 2-3 weeks, then bottle.

Right now they are upper 60’s.

And you didnt do the secondary with the caribou?

[quote=“BEER4U”] you didnt do the secondary with the caribou?[/quote]Secondary aging is a subject of much debate. I never do one unless it’s a big beer, 8% plus. That said, I always do a minimum of 3 weeks in the fermenter and the last week of that I set it where I’ll be transferring from so it doesn’t get disturbed and everything drops.

Just do a search for the necessity of a secondary fermenter, most people will now argue that it’s a unnecessary step.

I am one that has always done a secondary and always will, I belive I get a cleaner beer, just had to get that in.

I have no problem with that, but with fewer transfers, newer brewers will eliminate one more chance at infection or oxidation and avoid a premature transfer - so my advice and practice is go in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then start checking gravities. Too often one of the faults for new brewers is related to moving the beer off the yeast too early - from a lack of patience and hearing about the benefits of secondary fermentation (which really is a misnomer unless additional fermentables are being added).

O I think I am just going to keep it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and not do the secondary this time.

Next beer might be the Brickwarmer if anyone has ever done that yet, let me know how that went.