New brewers! - Brewing mistakes that weren't that bad

[quote=“twdjr1”]The LHBS recommended this one: Keep sanitizer in the racking hose, and use it to start the siphon. Divert it into another bucket, or let it go into the bottling bucket as it is only a small amount of water

I use this method: I have an extra bottling wand, and I take the plunger end off of it, using my mouth on the tube to get it started, then pulling the tube out. It really helps if you have one of those hose clamps to stop the flow while you remove the bottling wand tube.[/quote]
I’m surprised they didn’t recommend you buy an autosyphon; most LHBS will point to something you need to buy before recommending a process that doesn’t require a purchase from them. That said, I really like my autosyphon; makes racking really easy and risk-free.

Twice now I’ve accidentally poured my stir bar from my starter flask into my wort. Doesn’t do any harm to the beer, just isn’t fun to save it from the trub later.

Completely forgot to mash out on my first partial mash. Just cracked open my first bottle of it this past weekend and it turned out great! You’d never know I missed a step.

Bottled my first batch directly from the spigot on the bottling bucket without using any tube or bottling wand. I was worried sick that I had oxidized the beer too much. The beer turned out great and the last bottle tasted the best at 2.5 months old. No off flavors whatsoever from oxidation.

Forgot to sanitize a smack pack before pitching into a starter… turned out fine.

I’m sure I’m forgetting other mistakes too. I agree with the OP that it seems kinda difficult to completely FUBAR your batch. Be as thorough as you can with cleaning and sanitizing, follow the directions to your best abilities and RDWHAHB!

:cheers:

[quote=“BrewBum”]Twice now I’ve accidentally poured my stir bar from my starter flask into my wort. Doesn’t do any harm to the beer, just isn’t fun to save it from the trub later.
[/quote]

A little trick I use to remember this, when you take it off the stir plate, immediately place a magnet on the bottom or side of the flask so it sticks to the stir stick. that way you can pitch your starter and the stir stick stays in place because the stir stick and the magnet hold themselves to the side of the flask. The magnet also acts as a reminder that it’s still in there.

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“BrewBum”]Twice now I’ve accidentally poured my stir bar from my starter flask into my wort. Doesn’t do any harm to the beer, just isn’t fun to save it from the trub later.
[/quote]

A little trick I use to remember this, when you take it off the stir plate, immediately place a magnet on the bottom or side of the flask so it sticks to the stir stick. that way you can pitch your starter and the stir stick stays in place because the stir stick and the magnet hold themselves to the side of the flask. The magnet also acts as a reminder that it’s still in there.[/quote]

That’s a great idea, Matt. Thanks. It’s definitely use a magnet next time to hold it.

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“BrewBum”]Twice now I’ve accidentally poured my stir bar from my starter flask into my wort. Doesn’t do any harm to the beer, just isn’t fun to save it from the trub later.
[/quote]

A little trick I use to remember this, when you take it off the stir plate, immediately place a magnet on the bottom or side of the flask so it sticks to the stir stick. that way you can pitch your starter and the stir stick stays in place because the stir stick and the magnet hold themselves to the side of the flask. The magnet also acts as a reminder that it’s still in there.[/quote]
I’ll one-up you. I have a magnet mounted on the side of my stir plate. It’s a convenient place to store the magnet I use to keep me from pitching the stir rod.