New Brewer - Need Help!

Can’t thank you all enough for the help, reassurance and rapid replies!!!

Looks like I’m on the right track and yes - the Brew Store has got me planning
the next batch. They like to put their own kits together, enough for 15 gallons!

What concerns me about my first brew here is I have no real idea what the
pre-fermentation SG was. So I have no idea what the alcohol content will be
approximately.

Curious though, if one were to add sugar somewhere along the way, either in the
warm wort or even now after a week, because of different yeasts ability to convert
the sugar, would this necessarily result in a sweeter beer, or a stronger beer?
I’ll read the book about that, but just curious as to what to do if initial SG is Low
to begin with?

GREAT ideas HERE!
I’ll remember to use the dishwasher door! That’s something I would never had
thought of!!!

When making an extract beer, you OG is easy to predict. The only variables are sugar (extract) and water. On NB’s web site under “additional information” they list the OG, 1.043. Based on 5 gallons in the fermenter. So if your volume is slightly greater/lower, that number can vary. But not by to much.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/amer ... t-kit.html

You have around a 4% beer. Here is one calculator
http://www.brewheads.com/stats.php
, with many other things you might find helpful in the future.

Your local store will be able to tell you what their kits should have also. Or you can plug the numbers into a recipe calculator to see how varying ingredients can change the readings. The pay programs have a trail period. After that, they disable some features.

Qbew is a limited feature free program. Strangebrew, BeerTools, BeerSmith, ProMash are some “pay” programs. There is also a recipe calculator on Tastybrew.com
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html
None are better/worse than another. Personal preference on the interface.

Adding additional sugar will not make it a sweet beer. The yeast will wake back up and ferment the new sugar. Upping the ABV. Common though is to limit table/corn sugar to <10% to avoid a “cider” taste. Roughly, 1lb of sugar will increase the OG by 1.009 in 5 gallons.

Other things you could add in future brews are honey or maple if you have some local producers.

Keep you mind at ease and don’t monkey with this beer. Plenty of time to do that on future brews.

Solid advice, Nighthawk. Looks like you made beer, DrBob. :cheers:

(to: Nighthawk)
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.
I will not monkey.

Now that I have that out of my system and have been reassured I did not screw up, proven by Nighthawk’s research and my own hydrometer readings (you are right - NB should put the hydrometer back in their kits, maybe they do in the deluxe kit?) and after a visit to my new “hobby shop” Brewer’s Apprentice, I’m thinking ahead while the yeast does it’s thing…

I apologize if this is a little off topic, but it has been mentioned before, so what about the next project? There are catalogs from NB and at the local brew shop with all sorts of beers, meads, ciders and wines. They are all “proven” and reliable recipes. But how does one equate them to the various beer products commonly sold at stores, restaurants and the like?

I for one, have a fondness for Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse. I’d like to try and copy it. How does
one search for recipes or kits that claim to be similar? How does one “break down” a recipe for what he considers something outstanding? (OK, it only got a 91 /100 rating but that’s still good and I like it.) I’d appreciate anyone’s advice - remember - I only got the How To Brew book yesterday, so I have some reading and learning to do…

Thanks One and All!

NBs Bavarian Hefeweizen could be what you are looking for. Read up on brewing the Hefes. You can get slightly different tastes with how you handle the yeaast and fermentation temperature. I prefer the spice forward taste with banana aroma. I deliberately over pitch WY3068 and never let the fermentation temperature rise above 64°.

[quote=“DrBob”](to: Nighthawk)
How does one search for recipes or kits that claim to be similar? [/quote]

There is certainly more to your post than this one question, but lets start here. There are many good internet forums out there (NB is one of the better ones in my opinion) that have recipe sections with “clones” of popular styles. For a popular version like Hacker-Pschorr you might get a few options. Search the web. Read the posts and the comments and see what the feedback has been on the recipe.

Many times craft breweries publish the ingredients of their beers on their websites. Quantities and conditions are usually, but not always, not included on the site. That can also get you started as at least you will have an idea of grain bill and hop variety used.

Some breweries can be approached directly to see what they might divulge. This varies greatly by brewery. AB probably won’t give you all the details on Budweiser.

Start there and see what you find. Come back here and people will be very willing to provide feedback and advice.

http://www.hacker-pschorr.us/en-US/our-beers/weisse

The only thing we see from the brewers web site is 5.5% ABV, wheat and Hallertau hops are used.

Maybe with a little more searching someone can come up with something.

The NB Hefe kit is really nice, especially with a bottle of their blackberry extract added at bottle time. I’ve done two batches though and both blew-out of the fermenter. I won’t do this one again without a blow-off. That yeast is really vigorous and wants some temperature control. You WILL know what that yeast gets to work.

Wy3068 is a monster. I switched to a 3 piece airlock after three days primary. Came home from work and the airlock was full.

Tried to pull it off, it blew out of my hand and hit the ceiling. Beer all over my wall. :oops:

I leave the blowoff tube in until kegging with that yeast.

Well Guys ('n Girls)

I have beer. Bottled 2 weeks ago after adding the sugar. I opened one yesterday.

It was flat.

I mean, it tasted like wheat beer, had lots of flavor, but yuck. :cry:

Considering the questions I initially posted regarding my lack of fermentation…
Does the flatness at this point indicate a problem with my yeast? Could this be
caused by some “old” or not-so-good yeast?

A “Yeast Defection” of sorts?
(Sorry about that, it happens when you drink your own beer…)

What does one do with 2 cases of flat beer?

THANKS!

Two weeks may not be enough time. I generally allow a minimum of three weeks before I chill a bottle for three days then taste. My beer is conditioning at 66° to 68°. 70° to 75° will give you faster bottle conditioning.

How much priming sugar did you decide to use?

5oz dissolved in water.