New brew

A buddy and I have been brewing a little while now, and we’ve brewed the usual suspects from session strength to barleywine, but all of them have been american types excluding a saison. We want to do something else next and we were thinking something German might fit the bill. Like an altbier or bock or o-fest or something. We do have lagering abilities.

All I need now is a recipe. Since I know little about them I dont know what to do to formulate one. Can anybody provide one of their recipes?

Thanks

[quote=“Adam20”]A buddy and I have been brewing a little while now, and we’ve brewed the usual suspects from session strength to barleywine, but all of them have been american types excluding a saison. We want to do something else next and we were thinking something German might fit the bill. Like an altbier or bock or o-fest or something. We do have lagering abilities.

All I need now is a recipe. Since I know little about them I dont know what to do to formulate one. Can anybody provide one of their recipes?

Thanks[/quote]

Extract or all grain? What size?

You can get the recipe for all the beer kits that NB sells. Click on a beer kit, click on additional info,then click on recipe info. It tells you every thing you need.

+1, formulated a few recipes based on what I had on hand and what NB listed for ingredients.

All grain. Ok cool. Do you guys have a reccomendation for one of the NB recipes?

A mid OG porter would be nice and drinkable the 1st of January. Add a vanilla bean to jazz it up.

I’m brewing the NB Nut Brown Ale Sunday. After that the Patersbier.I got the ingredients for both at my LHBS.

Mmmm a vanilla porter. That sounds pretty good.

They are delicious! Crap… now I have to work a porter into the brewing lineup. :smiley:

If you’re thinking German, think about either a Dusseldorf or N. German Alt. Great style for the winter.

Or if you have some time to lager and other stuff to drink in the meantime, Traditional Bock for sure.

Pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and/or download the Jamil Show from the Brewing Network (available free on iTunes). Great one hour shows on keys to brewing a certain style and the recipes from the book.

I second the german altbier. I just did my first one, super easy beer to brew, and they are tasty.

[quote=“Pietro”]If you’re thinking German, think about either a Dusseldorf or N. German Alt. Great style for the winter.

Or if you have some time to lager and other stuff to drink in the meantime, Traditional Bock for sure.

Pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and/or download the Jamil Show from the Brewing Network (available free on iTunes). Great one hour shows on keys to brewing a certain style and the recipes from the book.[/quote]

Cool. I think I’ll do a traditional bock since I do have some time to lager.