New Boiling pot

I am wanting to get a new boiling pot that is at least 8 gallons. I was looking at the tall boy, and really like it. My only concern is, should i spend more and get a pot that has the temp and a drain in it? What would you chose?

If you’re planning on full boils with five gallon recipes, I’d recommend at least a ten gallon pot. An eight gallon pot just won’t give you the necessary headspace for the roughly 6 1/2 gallons starting volume required for a five gallon recipe. I have an eight gallon pot, and it’ll work, just barely, but I have to be very (and I mean very) careful about potential boilovers. As far as a thermometer and spigot, I would recommend the spigot, but the thermometer is probably unnecessary. It would probably be better to get a good digital thermometer with a probe. Again, I have both on my pot, and I like the spigot, but I always double check the thermometer against a digital hand held one anyway, so I could easily do without it.

On the other hand, the Tall Boy looks like a good bet. I’m looking at one for my next, bigger pot.

Has anyone added the spigot latter after they purchased the pot? If so what kind of drill bit was used and how big?

7/8" Unibit for a weldless kit. You could go smaller and open it up with a carbide burr. The Unibit cuts a smooth hole, though.

I had a 10 gallon pot without a drain and then moved to a 15 gallon pot with a drain. The drain is extremely nice. As mentioned, a 10 gallon size would be nicer than an 8 gallon size. I like to do 6.5 gallon batches to get 6 into the fermentor.

I have been considering getting a new pot to use as a mash tun. If your other option is a Megapot 1.2, the graduations on the inside of the pot are extremely nice. They would not help too much in a mash tun, but it would help to double check my counts for pitchers of water or wort. I loose count all of the time. I have tried graduated sticks and putting marks on the outside of the pot, but the graduation marks should work better.

Unless you’re whirlpooling, using an external chilling method, or have a bad back, a spigot for a 5-gal batch seems pretty useless to me - I don’t have one on my 10-gal kettle and don’t miss it (but I do on the keggles and the 25-gal). Simple enough to chill with an IC and then lift and pour and it’s one less thing to have to take apart and clean. If you want to add a valve later, the weldless kits are good and +1 to cutting a 3/4" hole and widening with a burr (seals better) - I used a step bit to cut the hole on four or five I’ve installed.

I installed a valve on my pot recently. I used a hole saw to cut the hole. If I ever do another one I’ll use a step bit instead. Wasn’t cut as cleanly as I’d like and needed a little more clean up. Still seems to seal fine.

I’d second everyone else on getting a slightly bigger kettle. I have a 9 gallon and I have to watch it closely as the boil begins and really nurse it through the hot break. I start my boil with about 6.75 gals to put 5.25 in the fermenter. I’m about to upgrade to a 15 for bigger BIAB beers and possibly 10 gal batches occasionally.

For an extra $20, I would definitely go with the 10 gallon Tall Boy. I bought the 15 gallon and let me tell you, it is huge. I would hold off on the weldless ball valve and see if you can handle the kettle alone or with someone else. As mentioned before, one less thing to clean.
I will probably install a ball valve eventually because last time I did a 10 gallon batch it was a pain to move and pour. Could not have done it alone.

This may be a stupid question - but are you only discussing all grain recipes?? Has anyone used a 10 gallon pot to do full boils for 5 gallon extract beers? I keep trying to get my fuller boils on my extract kits. Thanks!

As a beginner, I only do extracts. A 10 gallon pot should eliminate any chance of a boil over when you are brewing 5 gallons. Sometimes you want to do 6 or more gallons to account for evaporation or too much trub. I used my 15 gallon pot to do a 10 gallon extract brew.

I use a 15 gallon pot for 10 gallon batches and 5 gallon batches. Go for 15 gallon, you will not regret it.

What is your current pot? Why are you replacing it?

1. Get an 8-10 gallon pot if you plan on sticking to all grain.
  2. Get one with a valve port, or a valve already attached. it makes transfer to a carboy or bucket easier. It also turns your pot into a bottling bucket.
  3. A thermometer port is unnecessary in a brew pot. Wort boils at 212ish. There is no need to monitor it.

[quote=“CTDan”]
3. A thermometer port is unnecessary in a brew pot. Wort boils at 212ish. There is no need to monitor it.[/quote]

If you use an immersion chiller it is nice to have a thermometer in the pot to see when you are done chilling. Other than that, it is not really necessary, although I like to be able to see the temperature rise as I bring it to a boil.

[quote=“CTDan”]What is your current pot? Why are you replacing it?

1. Get an 8-10 gallon pot if you plan on sticking to all grain.
  2. Get one with a valve port, or a valve already attached. it makes transfer to a carboy or bucket easier. It also turns your pot into a bottling bucket.
  3. A thermometer port is unnecessary in a brew pot. Wort boils at 212ish. There is no need to monitor it.[/quote]
    I currently have a 5 gallon pot. I do all extract right now, so as you can see i don’t have any room to reach a full boil. I hope to be moving over to all grain this year. So should i get the 7.5 or the 10 gallon boiling pot?

Have to disagree- I use it to monitor temp for steeping grains, it’s useful for seeing where you’re at while coming to a boil/ using an IC while chilling, and I also use it during a hopstand (I usually hopstand around 170*). When I move to AG, I plan to use it to monitor strike water temp.

[quote=“themattman”]I currently have a 5 gallon pot. I do all extract right now, so as you can see i don’t have any room to reach a full boil. I hope to be moving over to all grain this year. So should i get the 7.5 or the 10 gallon boiling pot?[/quote]A 7.5 gallon pot is to small to do a full boil, remember that you are going to be starting with a pre boil volume of 6 to 6.5 gallons, that is cutting it close.

Amazon has a 40 quart pot for $45 shipped. Their 32 quart pot is only 3 bucks cheaper so it is really a no brainer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PZBEKE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001CHKL68&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02BDTCBEWEVMBP8Z2R86

I have the 60 quart version of that pot on Amazon and it is a nice pot. I had a local welder weld a half nipple on it for a valve for another $20.

[quote=“Glug Master”][quote=“themattman”]I currently have a 5 gallon pot. I do all extract right now, so as you can see i don’t have any room to reach a full boil. I hope to be moving over to all grain this year. So should i get the 7.5 or the 10 gallon boiling pot?[/quote]A 7.5 gallon pot is to small to do a full boil, remember that you are going to be starting with a pre boil volume of 6 to 6.5 gallons, that is cutting it close.

Amazon has a 40 quart pot for $45 shipped. Their 32 quart pot is only 3 bucks cheaper so it is really a no brainer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PZBEKE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001CHKL68&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02BDTCBEWEVMBP8Z2R86

I have the 60 quart version of that pot on Amazon and it is a nice pot. I had a local welder weld a half nipple on it for a valve for another $20.[/quote]
how would you compare this to the tall boy?

[quote=“themattman”][quote=“Glug Master”][quote=“themattman”]I currently have a 5 gallon pot. I do all extract right now, so as you can see i don’t have any room to reach a full boil. I hope to be moving over to all grain this year. So should i get the 7.5 or the 10 gallon boiling pot?[/quote]A 7.5 gallon pot is to small to do a full boil, remember that you are going to be starting with a pre boil volume of 6 to 6.5 gallons, that is cutting it close.

I have the 60 quart version of that pot on Amazon and it is a nice pot. I had a local welder weld a half nipple on it for a valve for another $20.[/quote]
how would you compare this to the tall boy?[/quote]

That Thunder pot is aluminum. The Tall Boy is stainless steel. Here’s more pot for your money for a stainless 11 gal

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-104 ... +stainless

[quote=“Glug Master”][quote=“themattman”]I currently have a 5 gallon pot. I do all extract right now, so as you can see i don’t have any room to reach a full boil. I hope to be moving over to all grain this year. So should i get the 7.5 or the 10 gallon boiling pot?[/quote]A 7.5 gallon pot is to small to do a full boil, remember that you are going to be starting with a pre boil volume of 6 to 6.5 gallons, that is cutting it close.

Thanks for the hook up. I bought the 40 QT, and received it yesterday. Great looking boiling pot. Did you add a valve to it? If so, was it easy?
Thanks

Yeah I added a valve. I had a welder weld in an aluminum pipe nipple[/url] that I cut in half and added a SS ball valve. Another option would be a [url=http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=91]weldless bulkhead
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Fitting-Nipple-Schedule-Length/dp/B00K0D9FDA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409494962&sr=8-4&keywords=aluminum+pipe+nipple