New Blichmann Brew Easy

I’ve been brewing for 14 years. I’ve been away from the forum for about 5 years. Retired now, so I can devote full time to my interests.

I just bought a Blichmann Brew Easy, the entire package, including the “tower of power”. I have run two batches through it, a Bass ale and Old Speckled Hen. Putting it together was a real learning experience. I had a few minor problems running the two batches, but worked things out with no disasters. Hit the final gravity and water volume within reason.

To other Blichmann users, I am going to have questions, I’m sure. I had trouble adjusting the burner flame so that it would light each time the sensor told it to. Also it seemed to have a short cycle, sometimes firing at one minute intervals and then burning for only 15 secs. I was running a five gallon batch. Is this normal?

Overall I really like the system. They seem to have thought of everything. I imagine that part of the problem will be solved by me learning the system.

Thanks in advance for any comments. It’s good to be back on the forum. I remember the forum as being composed of very friendly, helpful people.

Reb

Where did you buy it? And, what were the problems you had, if I may ask?

I’ve been interested in it for a bit now (see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122740&p=1071530&hilit=blichmann#p1071416 ) but haven’t actually seen it for sale, anywhere. I’m also only interested in the electric version, so I can brew in my kitchen during Minnesota winters.

I sold off all of my other major equipment, so I couldn’t brew right now if I wanted to. I’m either going to spend big on the BrewEasy, or I’m going to “go home,” and leave the hobby. It’s a tough decision, not helped by the fact that I’d be buying the expensive system sight-unseen.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]Where did you buy it? And, what were the problems you had, if I may ask?

I’ve been interested in it for a bit now (see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122740&p=1071530&hilit=blichmann#p1071416 ) but haven’t actually seen it for sale, anywhere. I’m also only interested in the electric version, so I can brew in my kitchen during Minnesota winters.

I sold off all of my other major equipment, so I couldn’t brew right now if I wanted to. I’m either going to spend big on the BrewEasy, or I’m going to “go home,” and leave the hobby. It’s a tough decision, not helped by the fact that I’d be buying the expensive system sight-unseen.[/quote]
Spend big…I can’t believe you are considering quitting. Unless you have a serious drinking problem that you can’t get under control, there’s no reason you can’t brew every now and then, even if it’s once every few months.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]Where did you buy it? And, what were the problems you had, if I may ask?

I sold off all of my other major equipment, so I couldn’t brew right now if I wanted to. I’m either going to spend big on the BrewEasy, or I’m going to “go home,” and leave the hobby. It’s a tough decision, not helped by the fact that I’d be buying the expensive system sight-unseen.[/quote]

If you sold off all your old equipment & are considering stopping brewing there must have been a compelling reason. Doesn’t sound like dropping a lot of $$$ on equipment would undo that reason. I would think very carefully before making that purchase, but that’s me.

[quote=“chinaski”]
If you sold off all your old equipment & are considering stopping brewing there must have been a compelling reason. Doesn’t sound like dropping a lot of $$$ on equipment would undo that reason. I would think very carefully before making that purchase, but that’s me.[/quote]

[quote=“Beersk”]
Spend big…I can’t believe you are considering quitting. Unless you have a serious drinking problem that you can’t get under control, there’s no reason you can’t brew every now and then, even if it’s once every few months.[/quote]

Ha. Great to hear both sides of it.

For the most part, kids + work + family have me tapped out for time. Wife is looking to reclaim basement space that currently is occupied by my fermentation fridge and keezer. I have an undesirable space in which to brew, since it gets so cold in the garage during the winter. Plus, there was the whole deal with one of my neighbors (probably) complaining to the Fire Department
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122731
. I’d like to move, but moving into a new house with the primary driver being to find better space to brew beer… I dunno, that sounds like misguided motivation.

Also, can’t brew on the stove-top (it’s a stove top, not a range), because the counter-top can’t take the weight.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“chinaski”]
If you sold off all your old equipment & are considering stopping brewing there must have been a compelling reason. Doesn’t sound like dropping a lot of $$$ on equipment would undo that reason. I would think very carefully before making that purchase, but that’s me.[/quote]

[quote=“Beersk”]
Spend big…I can’t believe you are considering quitting. Unless you have a serious drinking problem that you can’t get under control, there’s no reason you can’t brew every now and then, even if it’s once every few months.[/quote]

Ha. Great to hear both sides of it.

For the most part, kids + work + family have me tapped out for time. Wife is looking to reclaim basement space that currently is occupied by my fermentation fridge and keezer. I have an undesirable space in which to brew, since it gets so cold in the garage during the winter. Plus, there was the whole deal with one of my neighbors (probably) complaining to the Fire Department
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122731
. I’d like to move, but moving into a new house with the primary driver being to find better space to brew beer… I dunno, that sounds like misguided motivation.

Also, can’t brew on the stove-top (it’s a stove top, not a range), because the counter-top can’t take the weight.[/quote]

The regulation may have been the codes concerning turkey fryers, the large pot of flammable oil.

Just bought and set up my Brew Easy. Add I am typing this it is at Sach rest.
Went all in. Electric coils, hop rocket, tower of power, etc.

Same issues with me, lack of space/time and can only brew outdoors a few months of the year. System seems to be typical Blichmann (made by beer geeks, for beer geeks). REALLY gets to accurate temps.

My ulterior is that I have been approached by a pretty well-known chef here in Cincy to start a brew pub with him. I picked up the unit to lock in all my recipes and craft a few new ones. Precision is key here. I think the Brew Easy will transfer to the pub as our pilot system and we will probably go with the SABCO Nano as the brew unit (will series three batches each brew day for a 6 Bbl day).

The house smells pretty good right now. :slight_smile:

The problems I was having with the system were all my doing. I was thinking “turkey fryer”. The gas only needs to be turned on “low” for mashing and sparging, and then medium for the boil. The burner cuts on and off maybe once a minute for ten seconds. It maintains a perfect temp and only sips propane. It probably uses half the gas of a turkey fryer burner. The igniter should be located a quarter inch above one of the gas vents. I adjusted this and now get ignition every time.

My system has several fail-safes that work beautifully. Once I get the valve on the discharge side of the pump adjusted correctly, I can walk away from it for each stage. I can now hit the final volume to within a quart.

I highly recommend the Brew Easy. It is a beautifully engineered, well thought out, piece of equipment.

I bought mine from Homebrew USA in Norfolk, Virginia. The owners are friends of mine. They gave me great tech support.

Bill

Out of curiosity, what does one of these cost?

:lol: Took the question right outta my mouth…sounds very intriguing huh?

“uses half the propane of a turkey fryer burner” got my attention…but honey…look how much we’ll be saving on propane!

From what I can see they cost in excess of $2000, depending on size and whether you choose propane or electric fired.

This is the email I received from Blichmann back on August 11:

Thanks for the email. We will have the electric TOWER of POWER control module available in 2-3 weeks. Once we have the controller available we will be able to offer the turnkey electric BrewEasy system for sale. Your retailer will have more information about this system in the near future. You can expect around $2000 for the 5 gallon BrewEasy turnkey, $2300 for the 10 gallon system, and $2600 for the 30 gallon system. This will not include the chiller or KettleKart in the price. Great Fermentations have a great video about the BrewEasy and Beer Geek Nation is doing a series of videos with our new electric BrewEasy. I don’t think he has a video on the operation of the unit yet though. But you can see some of the components and his comments in the video. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me. Have a great day.

Price is a relative non-issue for me. I mean, I can’t go completely nuts, but I have more disposable income than disposable time, and since I can’t use money to purchase more free time directly… well…

[quote=“Silentknyght”]

Price is a relative non-issue for me. I mean, I can’t go completely nuts, but I have more disposable income than disposable time, and since I can’t use money to purchase more free time directly… well…[/quote]

Can you get me one too? I’d like the electric version please.

But seriously, as a father of two young boys I an certainly relate to the struggle for time. My brewing interests aren’t always in line with family expectations. Trying to accommodate both and the outside interests of my wife is a shared goal that is a work in progress. At least my neighbors are far enough a way to stay out of the equation. Good luck sorting through it!

There’s 168 hours in a week, take out 16 hours for sleep and work every day still leaves 72 hours a week to brew.

Sure maybe if you work at home, have a maid and a butler. Don’t shower, eat, go to the bath room, have a life, ect… I wish I could brew once a week, I’m lucky to brew once a month and I don’t have kids.

Sure maybe if you work at home, have a maid and a butler. Don’t shower, eat, go to the bath room, have a life, ect… I wish I could brew once a week, I’m lucky to brew once a month and I don’t have kids.[/quote]

Yeah I myself brew once a month and the only way I would have time to brew more would be if I made a career change and started working in a brewery :slight_smile: