New Belgium’s IPA Ranger

Are there any Northern Brewer kits that would taste like New Belgium’s IPA Ranger?
If so what one?

Are there any described like this: ABV - 6.5%
IBU - 70
Calories - 187
Hops - Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade
Malts - Pale, C-120
Body - Medium
Aroma - Bursts with an abundance of hops (citrus, floral and fruity)
Mouthfeel - Bitter and dry hop finish- imbalanced yet sessionable!
It is some good stuff, ain’t it?

Are you doing extract or all-grain?

Beat me to it… just build your own recipe.

Beat me to it… just build your own recipe.[/quote]

Bingo. If it’s extract I would just do something like this:

4 lbs. golden DME
5 lbs. pilsen DME

60 mins. 1/2 oz. Chinook pellet
25 mins. 1/2 oz. Simcoe whole leaf
25 mins. 1/2 oz. Cascade whole leaf
15 mins. 1/2 oz. Simcoe whole leaf
15 mins. 1/2 oz. Cascade Whole leaf
10 mins. 1/2 oz. Simcoe whole leaf
10 mins. 1/2 oz. Cascade whole leaf

Dry hopping optional with Cascade, Simcoe, or I’d even go off the beaten path and use Centennial here.

American 1056 on the yeast.

I wouldn’t bother with the 2 kinds of DME. Just use all Extra light DME, and steep half a pound of C120.

It’s going to be an extract.

This is only my 4th beer to make so I want to keep it simple.

The first three were dark beers and did not turn out to good. So hoping an IPA might do better.
So I want something that is simple and easy to get right.

Thanks for all your input this is a great forum you guys really know your stuff.

[quote=“A1 Mark”]It’s going to be an extract.

The first three were dark beers and did not turn out to good. So hoping an IPA might do better.

Thanks for all your input this is a great forum you guys really know your stuff.[/quote]
Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation! It’s paramount. I didn’t do very well my first few batches either. Make sure to chill the wort down to 70 or below and be VERY sanitary and you should make good beer.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“A1 Mark”]It’s going to be an extract.

Thanks for all your input this is a great forum you guys really know your stuff.[/quote]
Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation! It’s paramount. I didn’t do very well my first few batches either. Make sure to chill the wort down to 70 or below and be VERY sanitary and you should make good beer.[/quote]

Agreed. If you keep everything clean and sanitary then at the very least you’ll have a beer. And stick with your gut plan. Keep things simple for a while and then get into the complex stuff later. That way it will stay enjoyable and not frustrate you. Later on the complex things like water chemistry will start to interest you

Biggest tip I have is to keep fermentation temps down in the low 60s. Fermentation generates its own heat and the beer will warm 5F above air temp so keeping it cool is more challenging than you might think. Warm ferments make for crappy beer.

Ranger is a pretty standard IPA, if you know the types of hops that would be good info.

Bummer, my first three were dark and each one was exceptional!. I figure they would do a better job of hiding mistakes as I was knew to brewing, but everyone loves them.

Best of success on Ranger…it is a solid IPA.

And to all those chiming in with LME suggestions for this brew, thanks!

Add a lb of table sugar to get it to 7% and dry it out a bit.

Try and get your hands on the Fat Tire yeast by Wyeast. I think it’s limited edition, so you may not be able to find it.