Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

New albion ale

First if you havent tried it I suggest you do. After a six pack of new albion i i found my self mumbling this is a solid beer after every sip. Not many beers stand out to me but i really enjoyed it, the only problem is now that ive been brewing for a year it really hurts to pay 10 dollars for a six pack. Ive been checking NB daily to see if they got wlp076 in, white labs may june strain. Cant wait to brew this one

There was a clone recipe from the brewery itself in BYO a few months back. They suggest Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast.

If you search “New Albion” you will find a thread started about this beer with the clone recipe & all in the “Extract/Partial Mash” forum.

mmyeah. Not a fan. I mean its definitely a well-made beer, and if I had tasted one sip when it was originally released, and people only knew Cascade as a dish soap, I would probably have been blown away.

For APA’s though (particularly one I’m paying for), I like really clean (Chico, Pac Man or maybe East Coast Ale). NA has a weird tart/pithy character that comes through, likely from the yeast. I tried using brit ale yeast (S-04) in an Am IPA to ‘give it more character’ (or something), and it had some of the same characteristics, which I didn’t really dig.

No accounting for taste though. Brew on, brewer! :cheers:

I got a 6er of that when it was first released, and yeah, I agree.
It’s nothing mind blowing, but just a well built, solid, good beer.
I think a lot of the negative feedback it’s getting is because it’s not a huge, barrel aged hop bomb - but it’s not supposed to be. It is exactly what it is - an easy drinking, crisp ale. At the time it was originally released, it was something completely different, nothing like anyone here had had.

I also plan to pick up a couple vials of the yeast when it’s out, and want to brew it myself. I have the issue of BYO here somewhere that has the recipe - it’s all 2-row, cascade and yeast. That’s it.
I may want to toss a half-pound of Crystal 20 or 30 in there for a dash more color and complexity, but as it sits, it’s such an easy recipe to brew, as long as you can hit your numbers, it’s more or less foolproof.

This is the recipe posted in the other thread:

New Albion Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.055 FG = 1.011
IBU = 30 SRM = 4
ABV = 5.7%

Ingredients

11.5 lbs. (5.2 kg) Great Western premium 2-row malt
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (60 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (30 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (15 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast (1.4 qt./1.3 L yeast starter)

If I see it in Austin, I’ll try one - I make a fair amount of SMaSH brews and wouldn’t mind tasting a commercial version.

Here’s an interesting article about the original brewery and the Sam Adams re-do:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-29/jack-mcauliffe-father-of-american-craft-brew-brings-back-new-albion-ale#p1

[quote=“Shadetree”]If I see it in Austin, I’ll try one - I make a fair amount of SMaSH brews and wouldn’t mind tasting a commercial version.

Here’s an interesting article about the original brewery and the Sam Adams re-do:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-29/jack-mcauliffe-father-of-american-craft-brew-brings-back-new-albion-ale#p1
[/quote]
Thanks for the link, I didn’t know Jack was getting all the profits. Jim Koch comes off as a #$% a lot of the time, but that and giving Jack the trademark are pretty classy.

As for the beer, I bought a six and it was really sweet and I didn’t care for it. I’m wondering if it was a bad batch though, based on what others have said about the beer.

I thought it was good and wouldn’t mind making some. It would be good for football season I could drink a bunch of them while tailgating.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com