Never underestimate the size of your kettle

Well I finally took the time to add the spigot and thermometer to my 60qt kettle[/url], lets just say I underestimated it’s size. During the leak test I added 5.5 gallons of water and realized doing a 2.5 gallon brew is out of the question. The diameter of the pot is 17 inches so a lot of surface area. I think a 5 gallon will still be in the realm of possibility as that would add another 3-5 gallons of water depending on grain bill. About to look at biab-brewing custom bag now as well, underestimated what size the paint bucket bags were. Kinda disappointed only because I was excited to [url=http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=124868]split the kits
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX2O49U/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00IX2O49U&linkCode=as2&tag=dragonballz3000&linkId=5OGYWNWYBO477Q5J
into two batches and experiment, oh well worse case scenario I’ll be ready for 10 gallon brews if I ever have a community brew day.

I do 5 gallon batches in my 16 gallon bayou classic kettle all the time. It’s 17" wide as well. It’s nice to know the hot break can roll up with no danger of boil over.

You don’t need a custom bag. Look at brewinabag.com. I got their 50-60 qt bag and it’s perfect. Just check the measurements on their website for your kettle diameter and height.

This size is just about perfect for 10 gallon batches. Have to keep an eye on it as the hot break begins but it’s not bad.

Thanks knew there was another site I was thinking of. Both are $35 after shipping so will probably go with the one you mentioned as biab-brewing only ships Mondays and I want to brew this Sunday.

Also Danny if you happen to have the numbers do you know your boil off rate, etc? Want to try to get good starting numbers for Beer Smith.

Also Danny if you happen to have the numbers do you know your boil off rate, etc? Want to try to get good starting numbers for Beer Smith.[/quote]
I start with 7 gals to put 5.5 in the fermenter. I also lose about a quart in my system due to pickup tube depth, pump and hose loss. That’s with a good consistent rolling 60 minute boil. YMMV.

That’s a huge relief for me. I recently bought the same model of kettle. I was originally looking for a 10-gallon kettle to make 5.5-gallon batches, but the 16-gallon kettle was on sale for $10 cheaper than the 10-gallon version, so I bought the 16-gallon kettle instead. When it arrived I looked into it and noticed that the 6-gallon mark is waaaaaaaaay down near the bottom. (Of course it was! Duh!) My next challenge is this: Will my 25’ copper wort chiller be up to the task of quickly chilling to ale pitching temperature? I have my doubts, due to the possibility that not all of the coils will be submerged, so I am considering buying the King Cobra chiller from Jaded Brewing, as that model seems designed for my exact situation…

That’s a huge relief for me. I recently bought the same model of kettle. I was originally looking for a 10-gallon kettle to make 5.5-gallon batches, but the 16-gallon kettle was on sale for $10 cheaper than the 10-gallon version, so I bought the 16-gallon kettle instead. When it arrived I looked into it and noticed that the 6-gallon mark is waaaaaaaaay down near the bottom. (Of course it was! Duh!) My next challenge is this: Will my 25’ copper wort chiller be up to the task of quickly chilling to ale pitching temperature? I have my doubts, due to the possibility that not all of the coils will be submerged, so I am considering buying the King Cobra chiller from Jaded Brewing, as that model seems designed for my exact situation…[/quote]
Can’t help ya there Ken…haven’t used my IC in the new kettles. I got them for the brew rig I built with a pump and plate chiller. I think you do need as much of the IC submerged as possible to get the best performance from it though.

Ken,

I moved up from an 8 gal to a 15 gal kettle and my 25’ IC did not do well with a 10 gal batch. With a 5 gal batch it’s difficult to get the coils down into the wort. I finished up investing in a plate chiller and it’s money well spent.

Paul

Although it may lose a little efficiency, I think you’ll be fine. I still use my IC every once in awhile on smaller batches and the “in” water goes all the way to the bottom first. Therefore, any coils above the wort level is hot anyway. Just make sure you stir frequently.