Never squeeze the grain bag?

when your done steeping your grains we are told to never squeeze the grain bag?
so, why not???
I have seen it said but never told why not

I did in my last batch…I don’t see any negative effects
yet…
:shock:

Some people will tell you that it will release the tannins out of the grain…some people will tell you it makes no difference if you squeeze them or not… :lol:

Just like he said tannin’s.

squeezing releasing tannins seems to be a myth. Tannins are released from pH levels and (maybe?) oversparging?

I can’t see how squeezing the grains can have that much of an effect on final gravity thus I don’t bother because the potential risks as you have all discussed.

It wont because you arent pulling sugars from steeping grains.

It wont because you arent pulling sugars from steeping grains.[/quote]

I do it sometimes when I BIAB. Haven’t seemed to have an issue so far with an tannin issues.

good info, thanks
looks like there is some debate on it
I will do further research on tannins for my own knowledge, now that I know the why answer

but anyhow, if you tell me don’t do something and then don’t tell me the reasons, guess what I am going to do at some point in time :smiley:

I started bag squeezing privately after batch #3. Once I got past 20 batches with no tannins, I realized the bag squeezing wasn’t hurting my beer. I’ve been a proud, public sack squeezer since then! :smiley:

Squeeze it too much then your playing with it.

[quote=“GoldenChild”]It wont because you arent pulling sugars from steeping grains.[/quote]Sure you are - less than what you’d get in a mash, but you definitely boost gravity when steeping (with some grains). Here’s a chart with some info:
http://howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13-2.html

I brew using the BIAB method, and have for a number of years. I can tell you that I spend a good 20 minutes after I remove the grains and they drain, squeezing the crap out of the bag. Now I won’t brag but my beer snob friends and I think my beer is awesome. I’m sure some could win some awards (I don’t even enter contests) but I’ve never, ever, ever noticed any difference in these beers vs. those I don’t squeeze at all…other than the fact that I get an even better effeciency.
My LHBS guru said he stopped suggesting brewers not squeeze and has changed his mind that it makes no difference.
2 days ago I made an IPA that was supposed to be 1.070 and it was 1.082. Luck maybe but I’m sure it’s the extra sugars I got from the grains.
Now there may be some beer styles and grains that are affected by this but I’ve not run into that yet.

I say squeeze, squeeze and squeeze.

Sounds like Mister Whipple took up home brewing. :lol:

When I did extract and partial mash, I concluded that the benefits outweighed the risks of squeezing.

[quote=“Ekffazr”]good info, thanks
looks like there is some debate on it
I will do further research on tannins for my own knowledge, now that I know the why answer

but anyhow, if you tell me don’t do something and then don’t tell me the reasons, guess what I am going to do at some point in time :smiley: [/quote]

they also recommend that you squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom. I squeeze mine from the middle and have never had a problem with it.

sorry drinking a heavy tonight.