Need to pick a session beer recipe

Its time to add a session beer to my lineup since i’ve been brewing more mid-size to big beers lately. I’ve never brewed any of these listed, so i’d like some input on which have been the most popular for you and your family/guests.

• Honey Brown Ale
  • California Common
  • Mild Ale
  • Speckled Heifer
  • Cream Ale

Thanks!

The only beer from that list that I have brewed is the speckled heifer. I would highly suggest brewing that one. It is one of my favorite beers that I brewed so far and it has always been a hit when I’ve offered it to people that have been visiting. The best part is the 4% abv. I miss being able to have a few of these after supper without noticing. I am still not quite sure how I let my buddy talk me into brewing an IPA above 7%. Oofda.

They are all good styles.

But for my house session I usually make a dark mild that clocks in between 4.2% and 4.4% ABV, depending on the brewday.
The recipe is based on Jamil’s Dark Mild.

Cream ale is a good one. Or you can make your own house session ale. Something simple and tasty.
I very very seldom repeat recipes, but this one seems to just stick around.
7# 2-row
0.5# C20
1 oz of cascade or whatever hop I happen to wanna use at 60, 15, and 5.
That’s it.

I agree with Dimik. All cascade hopped pale is a great session beer loved by all who try it. Here is mine.

Go with a mild.

I just recently brewed NB’s all grain Innkeeper Ale…it’s my new house session beer. And bonus, it’s ready to drink (brew to fully bottle carb’d) in 4 weeks.

:cheers:

That’s awesome. I’m going to try it with my homegrown cascades!

My session beer is 10 lbs pilsner malt, 2 oz Tettnang first-wort hop. Mid 150’s mash, 60 min boil. No other additions. That’s it.

I’ve only been doing this since Christmas( darn kids kick started my OCD). So far the favorite from beer people and friends is the Cream Ale. I’ve done it 3 times and have had requests for more. I’m doing the Speckled Heifer this week end as I take the next step to PM.

Primary: Winter Warmer
Secondary Smashing pumpkin
Kegged: The Inn Keeper, and Caribou Slobber(my Favorite)
Bottled almost Gone: Raspberry Wheat, Scottish 60

Speckled Heifer is a good one. The “Liberty Cream Ale” from Midwest is always a favorite at my house. Mr. Muller knows what he is doing so I would recommend his recipe, I know I’m going to put it on my list to brew.

I did a Red Ale using Ken Lenard’s Red Lager recipe, using US-05 as the yeast. Turned out very tasty, but the US-05 took it down in gravity to become a 5% beer. Still highly sessionable.

Home Run Red Lager

6½ lbs American Pale Malt
1½ lbs Vienna
1 lb Wheat
8 oz Crystal 120°L
8 oz Belgian Special B
4 AAU Hallertau pellets for 60 minutes
4 AAU Hallertau pellets for 15 minutes
1 oz Hallertau pellets for 1 minute

White Labs 830 (lager) or White Labs 01 (Ale)

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.013, IBU: 27, SRM: 18, ABV: 4.8%

here’s one I brew regularly:

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.56 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 22.22 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
8.0 oz Pale Chocolate (175.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.75 oz Magnum [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I think what I’ll try doing is use teh simple Pale Ale recipe with either Cascade or another hop of choice. Seems to me it would be a great way to try out different hops and hop combinations. I think i’m going to try it with Horizon first. I keep hearing great things about Horizon hops.

Thanks

With that Avatar I think you should try the Speckled Heifer and try to make Dan Carey proud!

Hey look, post 400! I must be on here too much! :smiley:

My house beer right now is NB Cream Ale but I throw in a half ounce of willamette in the last couple minutes. It’s a solid recipe as is but I like it a little better with a little something extra. It’s simple and I found it a good starting point for a little trial and error.

I say go with the Innkeeper kit as well. At my house we call it A.M. Ale though, after the Saturday Night Live commercial…“cuz you can’t wait till afternoon!”

NB Cream Ale is a good one.