Need some Lager wort chilling tips / advice

Has anyone tried running wort through an IC coil that sits in a vat of salted ice water? I figure that it could go right from the kettle through the IC and into the carboy. Thoughts?

I just cool the wort into the low 70’s with the IC then put the wort into the ferm chamber until temps at 48f then aerate and pitch yeast. simple and works well.

I’m upgrading the whole setup going with a keggle, converting my current boil pot to a hot liquor tank, making a new 1/2 inch copper immersion chiller out of a fifty foot coil and adding a pump to recirculate. This will greatly reduce chill times over the counter flow chiller setup, improve the effects of late hopping in my beers, and allow me to get the wort colder before running off. It will also allow me to leave more hot break in the kettle and cold break as well. Something you can’t do with counter flow chiller. Hope my beer ends up better!

I just whirlpool the wort, then while setting up the Turbo Counter Flow Chiller the whirlpool stops with all the trub in the center of my boil pot.

Then it only takes a few minutes to pump the boiling hot wort through the TCFC and it comes out at 50F right into the carboy.

I don’t use the green waterbed drainer device anymore…

John

Wow nice setup and nice collection of carboys full of brew!
Are you approaching nano size or what?
I elected to build the IC instead of another, larger 1/2" tube construction CFC.
I wanted to go full 1/2" everything for moar flow.

This is another topic of great debate - CFC VS IC but having used both, I now know which way prefer to roll for now. Both work well and there are advantages and disadvantages to both so…

Nice rig though.

Thanks, I forgot to mention the bucket is filled with water and frozen and has a copper coil in the bottom that the wort goes through after the CFC to do the final chilling down to ~50°F

John