Need some hop advice

I already have roughly a lb of the following hops. Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook. So I have hops for IPA, APA, ARA, AAA, some american browns.

What I want advice on is what hops should I get to do some european styles. They can be american versions of the hops. But what hops should I get that would work in stouts, english browns, some belgium beers, other non american styles. I would really like to get a couple that would be very versatile. What do you recommend?

Should I just get fuggle, saaz, mt hood?

I just placed an order and was looking for exactly what you are looking for. I have a bunch of American hops already (Galena, Calypso, Crystal, Cascade).

I went with 1lb of Magnum for clean bittering, 1lb of Czech Saaz for Pilsners, Belgians and Lagers and 1lb of Mt. Hood which are good for a wide range of beers, IMO.

Mt. Hood is pretty versatile IMO… Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

[quote=“dobe12”]I just placed an order and was looking for exactly what you are looking for. I have a bunch of American hops already (Galena, Calypso, Crystal, Cascade).

I went with 1lb of Magnum for clean bittering, 1lb of Czech Saaz for Pilsners, Belgians and Lagers and 1lb of Mt. Hood which are good for a wide range of beers, IMO.[/quote]

Thanks. Probably will be the direction I go.

EK goldings! i love this hop for english styles and late additions. also works well in american beers IMO

EKG and Fuggle for your English styles then some Hallertau and Saaz for your continental hops. That will get you started.

I like Goldings but there is also Brewers Gold, its a nice English hop with higher %AA and more floral notes than earthy like Fuggles. I love Magnum for clean bittering, and you should get Hallertauer and/or Tettnanger for a noble hop. I’ve never been a huge fan of Saaz for some reason.

Ended up getting a lb each of the following. Mt hood, Magnum(US), Saaz, & Fuggle. Hope I made the right decision. and that they will be versatile in British, belgian, and german/czech styles. Because I will have plenty of them.

I’m new to the NB forum so my apologies if my question doesn’t quite fit the subject. I have been brewing a number of years but only recently turning out any significant quantities. My questions is: should I reduce the amount of bittering hops in full boil batch taken from a partial boil recipe. I have not done that and it seems my brews are coming out more bitter than I would expect. Most of the calculators seem to imply I should. I would appreciate some opinions. Thanks

Simple answer yes. Having a larger volume of boiling wort will utilize the hops better and up the IBU’s. If you plug a recipe into a brewing program, adjust the boil volume up or down and you’ll see that a smaller boil volume drops the IBU’s. Upping the boil volume raises the IBU’s. So you can use less hops with a full boil then you would with a partial boil.