Need some help with single fermentation

Im looking at the recipe instructions for the dry irish stout. It says to leave for an extra week in fermentation process. How does that work when the second stage says 2 - 4 weeks? should i leave it for 3 weeks or 4 -6 weeks in single, kinda confused. thanks

What’s the starting gravity? Unless it’s really high 2-3 weeks in the primary is all you need.

its says original gravity 1042 on here http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dry- … t-kit.html. thanks

We are not allowed to discuss this topic. :wink:

Some of us don’t transfer beers to a second vessel for bulk aging (commonly called secondary fermentation).

A “real” secondary fermentation would involve adding new fermentables (fruit) or adding new yeast (brett or lactic).

The beer will be fine sitting in the fermenter for 3-6 weeks (and more). The same amount of yeast, protein an other solids will fall out of solution in 1 vessel as in 2. 1 vessel means 1 less to clean/sanitize. Along with racking cane and tubing.

Others believe they have clearer beers by transferring.

That is up for you to decide.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]We are not allowed to discuss this topic. :wink:

Some of us don’t transfer beers to a second vessel for bulk aging (commonly called secondary fermentation).

A “real” secondary fermentation would involve adding new fermentables (fruit) or adding new yeast (brett or lactic).

The beer will be fine sitting in the fermenter for 3-6 weeks (and more). The same amount of yeast, protein an other solids will fall out of solution in 1 vessel as in 2. 1 vessel means 1 less to clean/sanitize. Along with racking cane and tubing.

Others believe they have clearer beers by transferring.

That is up for you to decide.[/quote]
LOL!
Quality answer, there!
First off, let me say that the instruction sheet is a suggestion at best. If you follow the recipe “to the T” or “to the letter” you could be in for a surprise.
Not really sure why there is that discrepancy. Maybe NB figures if you don’t transfer, you are rushing the brew. I think that 3 weeks primary is a good standard for most brews if you are bottling since you get an extra 2 weeks in the bottles.
Look for advice from experienced brewers or literature on the subject to figure out what will work best for you.

You know, my first dozen or so batches, (some midwest, some LHBS, most NB) I followed the directions to a “T” and the beers came out very well. As long as you are far enough along with Primary, transferring to an aging vessel is fine with proper sanitation. Any other risks are pretty minimal and millions of batches have probably been put into secondaries without major issues.

I am not picking a side, as I am still on the fence with this, but in general, I think the instructions are overkill and outdated, with the exception of not telling people to pitch enough yeast

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“mvsawyer”]
First off, let me say that the instruction sheet is a suggestion at best. If you follow the recipe “to the T” or “to the letter” you could be in for a surprise.
[/quote]

You know, my first dozen or so batches, (some midwest, some LHBS, most NB) I followed the directions to a “T” and the beers came out very well. As long as you are far enough along with Primary, transferring to an aging vessel is fine with proper sanitation. Any other risks are pretty minimal and millions of batches have probably been put into secondaries without major issues.

I am not picking a side, as I am still on the fence with this, but in general, I think the instructions are overkill and outdated, with the exception of not telling people to pitch enough yeast[/quote]

Give us enough time and we will convert you.

I used to secondary, But all I have is 7 gallon carboys so I was told that the extra air space is bad and you need a 5 gal carboy to secondary to be safe. This is being said I no longer secondary, I wait untill I have what I believe to be a finished beer, Gravity checks or bubbles, than I put the whole thing in a Frdge for about 2-3 days. I think this ensures the yeast go to sleep and takes them out of suspension. I than rack into my keg, this also helps me speed up the Carbobation process because the carb will absorb faster in cold beer. I have left it in the fridge as long as 7 days after I thought it was done.

Transferring is not only fraught with sanitation issues, it is exposing beer to oxygen, so oxidation is another concern. Finally, there is a concern with moving beer off the yeast before the yeast finish cleaning up (diacetyl, e.g.).

Just to give more reason to leaving beer where it lies for as long as necessary and then racking to keg or bottling. YMMV

:cheers: