Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Need some help building an amber ale recipe

So a number of years ago I got a case of a beer from a somewhat local brewer - Erie Brewing Co. What I got was called “Mad Anthony’s Ale” and although EBC makes a Mad Anthony’s now, it’s not the same thing. Not even close. It was then that I discovered that what was originally an amber ale was replaced by an IPA of the same name and now an APA of the same name. A search for a recipe for the original version didn’t help.

Yesterday I happened to be digging through some stuff and came across the box that held the case I had bought before they changed it to a pale ale. The box wasn’t overly helpful as it didn’t state the IBUs of the brew but it did state that it had a “generous amount of caramel malt” and used “English Kent Goldings and English Fuggles”. As I recall it was a very nice beer, I want to say a nice amber brew with caramel and a slight nuttiness. I’d like to try re-creating something along those lines. Right now I’m limited to extract or partial mash brewing though.

I did spend some time leafing through the Northern Brewer catalog and playing with a brew calculator but I have no idea if I’m on the right track or way off base. Hopefully someone with a bit more brewing experience can point me in the right direction. I’m not in a big hurry to brew, probably in a month or so I’d like to give this one a try and I’d like to come up with an IPA to brew too (I’m not an IPA fan but I’d like to make one for my brother, not sure how I can do an extract/pm of something he’d like since his favorite is Dogfish Head 120min IPA, I’ll take recommendations on that too).

I’m leaning towards using Danstar Nottingham yeast and fermenting around 68* at this point. For the boil I usually do a 3.5-4 gallon boil. The stove seems to handle it just fine.

But here’s what I’ve come up with for the Amber Ale:

Option 1:
Fermentables:
4# Briess Amber DME
3# Briess Light DME (late addition)
0.25# Brown Sugar (late addition)

Steeping:
1# Caramel/crystal 60

Hops:
1oz Kent Golding @ 60
1oz Kent Golding @ 15
1oz Fuggles @15

Est: 1.058 OG 1.013 FG, 5.83% ABV, 25.80 IBU, 12.06 SRM

Option 2:
Fermentables:
3# Briess Amber DME
3# Briess Amber DME (late addition)
0.75# Brown Sugar (late addition)

Steeping:
1# Caramel/Crystal 40

Hops:
1oz Kent Golding @ 60
1oz Fuggles @15

Est: 1.054 OG 1.012 FG, 5.47% ABV, 28.73 IBU, 11.74 SRM

You mentioned nutty malt so I’m thinking you should use Marris otter LME. Also, and this is somewhat personal opinion, but Goldings hops are more of a flavor/aroma hop. You can bitter with them, but Fuggles would be the better choice IMO.

I thought about Marris Otter LME, the brewing calculator I was using didn’t have an option for that so I wasn’t sure how to enter it or what exactly it would do to the flavor. I’m certainly not opposed to using it though. And I have no problem switching the Fuggles and the Goldings as to when they get added, I just took a guess at additions on those anyway.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com