Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Need help with a Gose please

had a gose last night, loved it, wanna make one. Just started researching a few minutes ago and i already have some questions.

what is a lacto starter?

will a gose ruin my plastic better bottles? (what if i don’t use bugs?)

will i get a good flavor without said bugs?

would i be better off just getting a sixer from the store?

[quote=“sputnam”]had a gose last night, loved it, wanna make one. Just started researching a few minutes ago and i already have some questions.

what is a lacto starter? [/quote] same as a saccaro/yeast starter, just growing up lactobacillus as opposed to brewers yeast. You buy lacto in starters/packs @ homebrew retailers.

[quote=“sputnam”]will a gose ruin my plastic better bottles? (what if i don’t use bugs?)[/quote] I am in the camp that bugs (pedio/lacto/brett) can be wiped out if you soak plastic fermenters in PBW or bleach for a few days, but I haven’t tried it just because I have a good number of ale pails. Some say they are ruined, but I simply can’t understand how anything would survive that environment. If you are not in my camp, use a plastic bucket or better bottle that is reaching the end of its useful life and use it for wild ales from here on out. Plastic tubing is another story.

[quote=“sputnam”]will i get a good flavor without said bugs?[/quote] I made a really solid gose a few years ago without bugs. For the life of me I can’t remember what yeast I used, but can check tonight. I also used pureed figs in the secondary, which made it a really interesting beer. My understanding of the style was that it was more about the slight saltiness/coriander (your mouth should water between sips, literally) than any sour character. Go easy on the salt btw. If you search around various forums, you can find the perceivable threshold for it (I would use just below that amount).

[quote=“sputnam”]would i be better off just getting a sixer from the store?[/quote] Nah. Brew that B!+ch. It ages really well so you can keep it around. I drank one of my last from the batch from 2012 and it was fantastical.

awesome…thanks so much

Was is it the delicious gose that Westbrook Brewery puts out? That stuff is fantastic. It’s my go-to beer when on the lake fishing or at the beach. 4% abv, tart, and salty.

indeed it was.

We have a competition at the brewery saturday. I’ll be staring at hundreds of filled cans!

We also just got a case of Westbrook gose while in Charleston for the Cooper river bridge 10K this weekend, from the Charleston Beer Exchange. Amazing stuff and their IPA is now one of my top 5!! By the way, the Beer Exchange is a quirky little place that shouldn’t be missed when in town.

Let us know how it turns out if you brew it.

You will want to make sure you look at water profiles for this style, typically a much saltier water is used in brewing this beer. Sometimes salt is added additionally after brewing into each glass. But definitely look into that.

I ran across this recipe that looks pretty simple and bug free. Think I’ll plan on making this on the 26th, hopefully drinking by june…

There She Gose Again
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.012
IBU = 12 SRM = 4 ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients:
5 lbs. (2.3 kg) wheat malt
3.25 lbs. (1.5 kg) German Pilsner malt (2 °L)
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) acidulated malt (2 °L)
0.50 lbs (0.23 kg) rice hulls
2.8 AAU Santiam hops (60 min.)
(0.5 oz./14 g of 5.6% alpha acids)
1 tsp Irish moss or 1 Whirlfloc® tablet
(15 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) ground coriander seed
(10 min.)
0.75 oz (21 g) sea salt (10 min.)
White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kölsch Yeast) or Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) priming sugar

Step by Step
Mill the grains, but be sure to keep the acidulated malt separate. Do not mill the rice hulls. Dough in all but the acidulated malt using 4.0 gallons (15 L) of water with a target mash holding temperature of 149 °F (65 °C). Hold the mash temperature for approximately 60 minutes or until the conversion is complete. Add the acidulated malt to the mash for an additional 45 minutes. Try to keep the temperature as close to original mash temperature as possible using an available heat source. Anything between 144–149 °F (62–65 °C) will work. Raise the temperature of the mash to 168 °F (76 °C) and begin sparging with 170 °F (77 °C) water until you collect 6.0 gallons (23 L) of wort in the kettle.

The total wort boiling time for this recipe is 60 minutes. At the onset of a full rolling boil, add your scheduled hop addition. When there are 15 minutes remaining in the boil, be sure to add your Irish moss or Whirlfloc® tablet to help with precipitation of the hot break. At 10 minutes remaining, add both the ground coriander seed and the salt.

Cool the wort to 68 °F (20 °C), transfer to your fermentation vessel and aerate the wort adequately. Add the contents of your yeast starter to the chilled wort. Ferment around 68 °F (20 °C) until the final gravity is reached, which should be in 5 to 7 days. Rack to a secondary vessel and allow the beer to mature another 5 to 7 days around the same temperature. Your beer is now ready to rack into a keg or bottles along with the priming sugar.

I talked with one of the brewers yesterday about this beer. They actually sour the mash by taking a few pounds of uncrushed grain and letting it sit for 48 hours in 110 degree wort. Sea salt and coriander are added near the end of the boil.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com