Need advice - Going from 5G extract to 10G all-grain

My brewing pals and I are going from 5G extract kits to 10G all-grain using the Blichmann Breweasy. Seeing as we’ll need to use about 20-25 pounds of grain in each batch buying 50lb bags and storing the rest seems to make a lot of financial sense. What’s the best mill you’d recommend for getting this done? Should we use the airtight pet food containers to store the remaining grains?

I have a captain crush and I love it. Hopper holds 11 pounds and the adjustments lock in to place for my crush. I mainly use it when I do 10 to 15 gallon batches. I also have a barley crusher it is a very good mill too few little things for I don’t like about it one is the hopper kinda flimsy and occasionally have to check my adjustments but it fast and reliable. I do like my captain better though. For storing your grain you can use the pet containers. They work great air tight. What I found works just as well is buckets home depot are food grade and lids have a gasket and are air tight too. Also they are cheap and work great

I didn’t realize the 5G pails from HD would work - that’s great. I was also looking at the Captain Crush. Is a mill something people purchase when going to all-grain? I don’t see milling all this in NB’s grain room being favored by the shop.

Just another thing too if you ferment in buckets and retire them you can use them to store your grain. I have never had a brew shop crush my grain. I know from kits in my many years of brewing that their crush didn’t meet my standard’s and efficiency was low. The captain is little pricey but is worth the cost if you choose it.

Just a question on grain storage, how long can you typically store grains and have them still be useful? I don’t think I am at that point yet but who knows!

[quote=“edtude”]Just a question on grain storage, how long can you typically store grains and have them still be useful? I don’t think I am at that point yet but who knows![/quote]I store mine in pretzel and pub mix containers. They are free and airtight.