Need a recipe with these ingredients

OK, since the cold seems to never want to go away and I haven’t brewed in a couple months, and I’ve been waiting to use my shiny new AG equipment, the itch is too much and I need to get something into a fermenter soon! If weather doesn’t cooperate in the next couple of weeks I’ll just being doing a partial boil on my stove and topping up to 5 gallons.

Any thoughts a recipe with these ingredients? I don’t mind grabbing some grains, hops, or yeast from the LHBS but would like to put to use most of what I have:

9# Dark DME
0.5# C40
0.5# C80
0.5# Special Roast
0.5# Special B
0.5# Pale Chocolate malt
0.5# Honey malt
2 packets of US-05

Hoping for something around 1.050 OG range. I was thinking a stout or porter of some sort. Any tried and true recipes you can point me to would be appreciated.

Throw it all in with a bunch of Maris Otter and call it a Russian Imperial Stout! Also a good way to use up bits and pieces of left over hops.

That’s what I’d do. Of course, you wouldn’t be at 1.050, but by next winter you’ll have a nice big beer to keep you warm during the cold winter months.

First… I apologize that I don’t have a specific extract recipe for you; however, I do think the following link should give you some great ideas of specialty malts and amounts that you can throw in for a truly outstanding porter. I have tasted Mr. Stock’s porter when judging competition and it is truly one of the best porters I have ever tasted. See all-grain recipe here. Obviously you’ll need to substitute the base malt and some of the dark crystal malt with your dark DME, and scale down the gravity to whatever you like. Good luck.

http://www.sphbc.org/mwhboy/signature-r ... ial-porter

That’s…that’s a lot of different malts. My kitchen-sink recipes haven’t turned out too well. I’d save a few of them for another batch and keep it simple.

No tried-and-true recipes here, I usually stay away from honey malt, special B (except for some belgians), and C80…buuuuut off the top of my head…

I’d go with the dark DME, .5# C40 (maybe .25# each of C40 and C80?), .25#-.5# special roast and maybe .25# of the pale chocolate, throw in some cascade and CTZ and you’ve got yourself an American Stout, and you can use your S-05. Probably only one packet for the gravity you are talking about.

Then you could do a winter saison with some of the others, but you’d need either base malt to use on your shiny system or some pilsner DME and a satchet of Belle Saison.

pilsner DME/LME
special B
honey malt
Styrian goldings

If I had those lying around, I would maybe even try them as an all-brett beer. Brett Trois is pretty clean, and throws off some great tropical esters, minimal if any funk.

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t looking to use it all in a single brew. I prefer simpler recipes when possible. Kitchen sink recipe sounds like a disaster to me :slight_smile:

Does anyone care to take a guess at what specialty malts Munton’s uses in their dark DME. I’ve never used dark DME in a recipe but received this accidentally when NB shipped me the wrong thing.

I think for a porter or stout I will still probably need something in the 300+ SRM to get it dark enough without overdoing the specialy malts. According to Beersmith, 6# of dark DME, 0.5# of C40, 0.5# of special roast, and 0.25# of pale chocolate (estimating 200 SRM), I’m around 19 SRM for 5 gallons. I’d prefer it closer to 30ish.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Yeah, I definitely wasn’t looking to use it all in a single brew. I prefer simpler recipes when possible. Kitchen sink recipe sounds like a disaster to me :slight_smile:

Does anyone care to take a guess at what specialty malts Munton’s uses in their dark DME. I’ve never used dark DME in a recipe but received this accidentally when NB shipped me the wrong thing.

I think for a porter or stout I will still probably need something in the 300+ SRM to get it dark enough without overdoing the specialy malts. According to Beersmith, 6# of dark DME, 0.5# of C40, 0.5# of special roast, and 0.25# of pale chocolate (estimating 200 SRM), I’m around 19 SRM for 5 gallons. I’d prefer it closer to 30ish.[/quote]

Although I agree simpler is usually better (I generally brew beers with no more than 2-3 grains), one of the best beers I ever made was a kitchen sink RIS. Added oak, bourbon, vanilla beans to 1/2. Great beer! Needed some aging time, but was truly a great beer.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Yeah, I definitely wasn’t looking to use it all in a single brew. I prefer simpler recipes when possible. Kitchen sink recipe sounds like a disaster to me :slight_smile:

I think for a porter or stout I will still probably need something in the 300+ SRM to get it dark enough without overdoing the specialy malts. According to Beersmith, 6# of dark DME, 0.5# of C40, 0.5# of special roast, and 0.25# of pale chocolate (estimating 200 SRM), I’m around 19 SRM for 5 gallons. I’d prefer it closer to 30ish.[/quote]

couple ounces of blankprinz or midnight wheat will get you there color-wise, but you won’t have much in the way of roast flavor for a stout. I would throw in a few ounces of roasted barley if its going to be a stout.

How about this. Going for a robust porter

6# Dark DME
0.5# C40
0.5# Special Roast
0.25# Debittered Black Malt
0.25# Pale Chocolate
0.25# Special B
2oz of EKG at 60min
0.5oz of EKG at 10min

1 packet of US05

Ferment at 65ish.

I guess this is quickly becoming a kitchen sink recipe :slight_smile:

I think thats a good-lookin’ beer. The only thing I would question is do you need a 1/2lb of special roast, but otherwise I’d say brew on.

Kitchen sink, perhaps, but I think that looks like a pretty great recipe right there!

FWIW, I believe dark DME is made of basic 2-row plus ~20% dark crystal (like crystal 120-160, in that range) plus ~2% black patent, something along those lines. But it’s just a really wild guess, as I don’t really know.

Maybe I’ll bump that Special Roast down to 0.3#. I brewed an IPA last year with half a pound of special roast and it was pretty tasty. It was my first experience with it. Though this is a much busier grain bill so maybe toning it down wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Brewed this on Friday night in my kitchen (still too damn cold for garage brewing). Everything went great, (OG was a little higher than expected at 1.064)…until I went downstairs to put the carboy into my ferm chamber and noticed the carpet was wet. I had a pipe burst due to frozen line to the spigot in my garage. Luckily it was still frozen and was only slowly dripping and wasn’t spraying everywhere. It was 11pm so no hardware store was open so had to kill the main all night.

Pitched the yeast around 11pm and had a full 24 hour lag time. By Sunday night I had a nice 2-3 inch krausen and it’s chugging along well at around 65-66*F.

This brew will be aptly named “Pipe Burst Porter”.

sorry boss :oops: i have no idea.