NB's Kolsch

Getting ready to brew the 5 gal all grain Kolsch from our host. Going to use s-05. Just curious if any have brewed this, how it turned out, and if there is any advice out there pre-brew. Just looking for a good, clean beer, but I do like the slight fruity hint I get from a Spaten or a Weihenstephaner lager. I guess I’m mostly looking for advice on ferm temps, if there’s any chance of getting something like that out of 05.

Thanks,

Ron

How do you control temps and do you have lagering capabilities? A kolsch is no different than other beers as far as making. Its a hybrid because you ferment it at cooler temps and then lager. If you can do that why don’t you use the kolsch yeast ( technically not a kolsch unless you do)?

I use a swamp cooler (big deep laundry sink). I can keep temps down to about 56*f pretty well. I don’t have any way of truly lagering, so this kit looked interesting using 05. I realise it won’t be a true lager, but hoping to get a reasonable facsimile. I guess that’s one reason I was looking for feedback, since a real Kolsch should be lagered and this kit doesn’t “require” that with the 05.

Thanks,

Ron

That’s pretty annoying that their kit includes a west coast ale yeast to make this beer. I agree with Loopie that this will not taste like a kolsch if you don’t use a kolsch yeast. There’s that slight delicate mix of sulfur and pear that you just don’t get with other yeasts.

HOWEVER: I do love US-05 at the real low end of its temp range, particularly in really simple beers like this one likely is. It will kick out a peach ester if fermented in the high 50’s, which I find works great in a few beers I make. Brew it up, but don’t expect a kolsch.

Any advice on which water profile to use in brunwater for this beer? Still very new at brunwater and a little unsure.

Thanks

Ron

I would personally go with yellow balanced (don’t have access right now so trying to go off memory).

Thanks Josh. We’ll give it a whirl.

:cheers:

Ron

Just an update. This beer turned out great! I kept fermentation in the mid-50s and ended up with that slight fruitiness that Pietro mentioned. If you like beers like Spaten, you would like this.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Ron

Good for you! Glad I could help. I like the kolsch strain for beers like kolsch as well as blondes and cream ale. I always have a saved slurry on hand.