NB's ESB with WYeast 1968 vs Safale S-04

Hey guys,

About to brew another batch of beer and I would love to have something similar to a Fuller’s ESB.

With that being said, I think that this kit would be a good start:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/extr ... t-kit.html

Can you guys recommend which yeast would be better for this? I am leaning towards the liquid yeast int he smack-pack, but I have read a lot of forums saying you really should make a starter with this yeast. How necessary is it to make a starter? Or is the 1968 good as is?

Thanks,
M125X

I have two beers fermenting right now, with both of those yeasts. Yes, you should make a starter with the 1968. I have gotten a yeast pack that was less than two weeks old and used it without a starter and was satisfied with the results. With that being said, I would choose the dry yeast because of how easy it is to use. No need to rehydrate the yeast, no need for aeration. Just sprinkle it on the wort and let it work it’s magic.

J

Sounds good I will probably go that route then assuming that the taste difference isn’t really noticeable?

Anyone brew the ESB from NB that feels to comment? I would like something similar to Fuller’s ESB which is one of my favorite session beers.

From Graham Wheeler’s,“Brew Your Own British Real Ale”:

Fuller’s ESB

19Liter Batch
OG 1.054, FG 1.013
Mash Temp-151F
30 EBC
90 min. boil

Pale Malt- 4180g (or use malt extract syrup- 3140g or DME- 2700g)
Crystal Malt-410g

Target Hops-14g @90min.
Challenger Hops-7g @90min.
Northdown Hops-7g @90min.
Golding Hops-10g @10min.
Dry hop with a few cones of Golding.

[quote=“Legman”]From Graham Wheeler’s,“Brew Your Own British Real Ale”:

Fuller’s ESB

19Liter Batch
OG 1.054, FG 1.013
Mash Temp-151F
30 EBC
90 min. boil

Pale Malt- 4180g (or use malt extract syrup- 3140g or DME- 2700g)
Crystal Malt-410g

Target Hops-14g @90min.
Challenger Hops-7g @90min.
Northdown Hops-7g @90min.
Golding Hops-10g @10min.
Dry hop with a few cones of Golding.[/quote]

I haven’t done any all grain yet, so I would be going with Extract and/or extract brew + specialty grains.

So to modify would this be acceptable?
6 lbs of this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/nort … syrup.html at 90 min.
Modify Challenger hops with US Perle Hops (since NB carries these)

What about the crystal malt? How would I substitute for that? And at what point in the boil should I add that?

Use Safale S-04

Also for the dry hopping, appx how many grams of Golding hops?

Thanks!

Yeah, I know you’re doing extract, that’s why I listed the extract syrup or DME. I would just get the lightest extract you can find and use Crystal 77L.
Steep the crystal malt BEFORE you boil.

Personally, I would use all English hops, even though you may not even be able to tell with the bittering hops. Stick with the Golding late in the boil and dry hop.
A few cones for dry hopping? Use your best guess. 1/4oz maybe?
This recipe is based from information given from Fuller’s.

I got Wheeler’s book for Christmas and all I can say is all the recipes seem to be the same. In other words, no real direction on the types of bases or caramels etc, along with the yeast. Is it me or am I missing something?

They’re not exact recipes, but they are based on information from the breweries. Use them as guidelines.
I base the crystal malt I use on the color of the beer. Most of the time, it’s 77L. With a little research, you can figure out which yeast strain that brewery used. I normally say the heck with it and use S-04.

I’ve brewed several recipes from there and they all have turned out great.

If you want Fuller’s ESB, use the 1968. The dry yeast will give you a Whitbread character. Both yeasts will make a nice English style ale. I have used both of these yeasts in a beer, and the liquid yeast tastes fresher in my opinion. Making a starter is not that hard and worth the extra effort.