NB Oktoberfest Kit w/ WY1007 yeast?

I’m unable to lager, but I don’t have the capability. While I’m not expecting a true Oktoberfest, would this kit with the German Alt yeast turn out somewhat similar? Or am I better off just brewing a German Alt and not expecting Oktoberfest?

I haven’t tasted this yet but I just brewed an oktoberfest with Wyeast Bohemian lager 2124 and fermented it around 65*. One their website they say it is suitable for this type of fermentation and there is a Brewing TV (lager work arounds or something like that) in which they use it. Again, I haven’t tasted yet, but when I was writing my oktoberfest recipe it seemed like this would be closer to what I wanted than the German ale yeast. That and I cannot lager ferment either.

Hmmmm…I wish you’d gotten a few more replies to this one…I was looking forward to the answers myself! Maybe bumping it up and bringing it back to light might help! :cheers:

I have no direct experience with this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’d use 2124 or 2112 if it were me. You still should try to ferment as cold as you can manage, and pitch a big starter (i.e., pitch at lager rates even if you’re going to ferment at ale temps).

I’ve made some great pseud-OFests with 1007. But no matter if you use and ale or lager yeast, you still need to ferment cool. For 1007 I try to keep it no higher than 60. Then you need to cold condition the beer for a couple months. If you can’t manage temps that low, I suggest putting it off til the weather cools down and you can ferment outside.

Thanks guys…it good to get some feedback on this question! I’m not the original poster, but have been watching for answers!

Cheers! :cheers:

What does this do for the beer?

I’ve already screwed this up for my attempt at an Oktoberfest ale, but I’m curious.

What does this do for the beer?

I’ve already screwed this up for my attempt at an Oktoberfest ale, but I’m curious.[/quote]

Makes it clean and crisp like it should be.

Thanks for all the replies.

Would it be better to go with 1007 and ferment at say 60? Or do the lager yeast at 60?

[quote=“tj218”]Thanks for all the replies.

Would it be better to go with 1007 and ferment at say 60? Or do the lager yeast at 60?[/quote]

I’d go with the 1007.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“tj218”]Thanks for all the replies.

Would it be better to go with 1007 and ferment at say 60? Or do the lager yeast at 60?[/quote]

I’d go with the 1007.[/quote]

Agreed.