Nb mpls

Looks like Deschutes Base Camp tour is taking them through MPLS, and on Monday July 23rd they will be hosting a “Hats of to homebrewers” event at NB Mpls. Looking at Deschutes website, the first 100 will recieve assorted malts. It is also mentioned they are giving away clone booklets of their recipes.

It’s from 6 - 8pm. Hopefully I can get there early enough to at least receive a recipe book !!!

Well I went, and although the training room was packed it was a great time. I guess I was expecting the recipe booklets to include a bit more insight than whats Deschutes has on their webpage, but alas no percentages or hop schedule.

Just wanna say thanks to NB and Deschutes for a great time! Getting to sample the fabled 22th anniversary Black Butte was a treat.

It sure was a treat.

I was slightly disappointed by the presentation though. I think the younger brewery assistant needs some more practice presenting and should probably brush up on the subject matter that he is presenting.

Otherwise it was a good time.

I loved it. I assumed that the recipes would be what’s available online but I got a number of clues from the brewer about how to make Red Chair.

I agree on the younger brewers presentation skills, either way he’ll get better. I we’ve all had to start somewhere!
Wish I would’ve known they were giving out black Malt… Wouldn’t have purchased a full pound just before the show.

Yes, I like how “assorted malts” turned out to be 2oz. of black malt in the smallest bag Ive seen. The leather coasters and key chains were very cool though.

I was expecting a bit more, but oh well…free is free. Been wanting to do a black ipa / CDA whatever you wanna call it. 2oz black malt should be sufficient for color without too much astringency.

Speaking of dark beers, Gregscu, your black and mild was excellent. Would be the perfect 2.5 gallon keg beer for sitting around a campfire.
Being that you were kind enough to include recipes, that’ll be on the docket soon!

[quote=“dsidab81”]I was expecting a bit more, but oh well…free is free. Been wanting to do a black ipa / CDA whatever you wanna call it. 2oz black malt should be sufficient for color without too much astringency.

Speaking of dark beers, Gregscu, your black and mild was excellent. Would be the perfect 2.5 gallon keg beer for sitting around a campfire.
Being that you were kind enough to include recipes, that’ll be on the docket soon![/quote]

That version of the Black & Mild used WY1581PC Belgian Stout, which I think is no longer available. I do have some frozen that I could give you if you really want to use the Belgian yeast. Otherwise, I typically make this beer using Nottingham and it comes out fantastic, in fact I prefer the Notty version over the WY1581 version. I have also used S-04 in this recipe, but again, I prefer Notty.

I’ll just use Notty, simple and cheap!