NB Kits

I had 2 NB kits recently that kind of surprised me.

1. English Pale Ale extract - sooooo bitter! Not an IPA, but just sooooo bitter
    2 oz Kent Golding for 60 min, 1 ounce Kent Golding for 1 min

2. Dry Irish Stout extract - 2 ounces of Cluster Hops? It’s a good tasting beer, but the Cluster taste is strong and not too stout-like for me.

Any experience with these? I kind of feel like they did’t hit the mark on them.

I did the English pale ale extract years ago and was disappointed at the lack of bitterness. It was then that I learned the difference between an APA and EPA.

I use cluster hops in an American stout I make that is one of my best beers. I haven’t done NB’s recipe for their dry Irish stout, though.

I brewed NBs Dry Irish Stout 11/18/2012. I like it. Few weeks ago I thought I should try a Guiness. Never had a stout before. Guiness is pretty good, but I like the larger body in NBs kit. My ABV came out to 3.81%. I think Guiness is slightly lower ABV. Hop bittering/aroma is very subjective for different palates. I did not think the hops came through as strong cluster hops, just as a lightly hopped brew. Is NBs Dry Irish Stout more stout like than Guiness? I don’t know.

I brewed Dry Irish Stout for a St Patty’s Day party last year…I don’t recall it being any more bitter than it should have been, and everyone, including a serious Guinness lover, preferred it to Guinness. I really did like that one. Nice and simple.

You could call and complain to NB. Get some new kits like this poster did.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115167#p1008280

But like I said in that thread, it’s not NB’s fault that my or your taste buds don’t agree with there recipe.

A search of this board for “cat piss” brings up Simco, Fuggle, Citra, and Cluster. Also a reference to “black current” = “cat piss” which apparently is in a lot of English hop descriptions.

Some people love these hops and other can stand them.

Growing up we at “tuna hot dish” often. Don’t recall if I loved it, but I wasn’t repulsed by it. Had not had any for 20 years. A couple years ago my Mom made some. I could not get it past my nose. :frowning: A bit upsetting to Mom. Not her fault.

The above poster is 100% correct. Our host has a no questions asked kit guarantee in place for a reason. They’ll send you a new kit, no questions asked. Friggen spectacular customer service NB!

Actually I’m not a fan of NB’s “no questions asked” guarantee. Their recipes are solid recipes. Because I don’t like the outcome doesn’t make it a bad beer and that they need to replace it.

If I brew a beer and 9 out of 10 people like it, do I dump the beer?

Actually I’m not a fan of NB’s “no questions asked” guarantee. Their recipes are solid recipes. Because I don’t like the outcome doesn’t make it a bad beer and that they need to replace it.

If I brew a beer and 9 out of 10 people like it, do I dump the beer?[/quote]

Hmm, I think I just figured out why NB’s shipping rates are so out of whack, somebody has to pay for all those “free” replacement kits for unsatisfied customers.

OP, are you doing full-volume boils? This increases bitterness, though not by a ton. I’m pretty sure NB’s kits are designed for 3 gallon boils…

If I brew a beer and 9 out of 10 people like it, do I dump the beer?[/quote]

True that… I made the Winter Warmer, which I thought was really boring, one dimensional, and just a bad beer. Everyone who tried it loved it. Go figure…

A LITTLE customer service goes a LONG ways…

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112816&start=30#p1009115

Explain that to ML when they won’t budge on $11.50 shipping charge for a packet of yeast.

ymmv

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115167

Which is it. YMMV are they have great customer service?

As has been pointed out, they have refused to go the extra step to charge a reasonable shipping for a small packet.

[quote=“harpdog”]I had 2 NB kits recently that kind of surprised me.

1. English Pale Ale extract - sooooo bitter! Not an IPA, but just sooooo bitter
    2 oz Kent Golding for 60 min, 1 ounce Kent Golding for 1 min

2. Dry Irish Stout extract - 2 ounces of Cluster Hops? It’s a good tasting beer, but the Cluster taste is strong and not too stout-like for me.

Any experience with these? I kind of feel like they did’t hit the mark on them.[/quote]

I brewed the St Paul Porter, which calls for 2oz cluster at 60. I can’t say I find that brew overly bitter, but it is around 10 gravity points higher if I remember correctly.
You sure some of the roasted barley isn’t providing some of the perceived bitterness?

I’m a long time guinness stout drinker and just bottled the NB dry irish stout extract 5 days ago. I tasted it between primary and secondary and found it very smooth and tasty. I was surprised to find it a little more bitter after secondary for 3 weeks. I’m very interested to see how it will taste after bottle conditioning.

If I remember correctly the kit instructions do not give an accurate IBU rating because they cannot know the Alpha acid levels of the hops they send.

When I get a NB kit I make sure to go to brewers friend and put in the kit specs as well as the hops that were sent to me and see what the IBUs should come out to be. You can then adjust to your taste.

I also like that I then have a record of my brew’s specs.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/

I have only brewed 7 NB kits since this summer. Haven’t had any problems.