NB hefe extract revisit ?s

I want to revisit the NB hefe kit. This time I want to use liquid yeast instead of the Munich Wheat yeast. My first attempt had strong clove and spicy notes and a weak banana note. If I use liquid yeast would pitching without a starter be ideal for a hefe? I recall that stressing out the yeast and not overpitching helps and also fermenting at a higher temp? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Also which yeast would be my best option Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300?

I used WLP300 in my last hefe. I think it has a nice balance between clove and banana. Without looking at my notes, I think I fermented around 63 degrees. Even at the lower temp, it took off like a rocket and I needed a blowoff tube. I did pitch a 1L starter though, so YMMV.

I’d say if you want more banana, maybe skip the starter. Or ferment warmer. Up to you. I’m more of a fan of the clove, although it still has a nice balance between the two.

Thanks for the input. What kind of air lock/blow off setup would be recommended if fermenting in a plastic 6.5 gallon bucket? Or should I buy a 6 gallon carboy and get a 1 inch i.d. blow off tube? I really don’t want to clean up a giant mess.

I like Wy 3638/WLP 351 [same], it is a little more subdued but still has a very nice hefe flavor, not so much in your face. I start temp at 65 for 2-3 days then elevate to 70 to finish an I always us a qrt. starter. I hear Wy 3333/WLP 380 is even more subtle but haven’t tried it.

I’m a little crazy in that I primary in a bucket with the lid just covering the bucket without any air lock until it’s done, I’ve yet to use a blow-off, then rack to glass to cold-crash with a bubbler. Don’t seem to have any problems because of all the co2 blanket on the surface.

I use a 6.5 gal carboy with a tube for my blowoff. Not really sure about blowoffs for buckets.

Best way to avoid blow-off mess is by keeping fermentation temperatures under control, and use a primary with a lot of head space - a 7 or 8 gallon bucket will keep things contained wonderfully. Because of the neck geometry, carboys are intrinsically worse for this, but with a big enough one they will keep things contained as well. I strongly believe that if you need a blow-off tube, you are doing something wrong.

I’ve only ever used WY3056 or WB-06 for wiessbiers, and I was so happy after trying the WB-06 that I’ve used it for every wiessbier I’ve brewed in the last five years. Strong on the clove, which I like.

Is using a 6.5 gal carboy wrong? :mrgreen:

My temp during fermentation for my hefe was under complete control, though. I’ve read that WLP300 just goes off no matter what. That may be something to consider for your next brew. Given, I used the blowoff tube and it didn’t quite make it up into the tube.

I needed a blowoff for my recent brew, NB’s Off the Topper, but I think that’s because it’s a 6 gallon batch and the biggest I have is the 6.5 gallon carboy. I will probably be buying a 7 or 8 gallon bucket so I can do big IPA’s (larger batch to accomodate for the amount absorbed by the hops). I’m still doing 5 gallon batches for now, until I have more kegs to fill :smiley:

When it breaks on you, you’ll have that question answered. Hopefully you won’t need stiches.

I’m very much into buckets these days, and I haven’t had a problem with blow-off since I abandoned carboys. Of course, I’ve also gotten my temperatures under better control during that time as well, so I can’t claim it is just a bucket issue.

I would hope it won’t break on me… You make it sound like it’s destined to break :? Design flaw or user error?

I use the strap carrier thing to move it if it’s full so it stays supported from the bottom. I’m pretty careful, but sure accidents do happen. Either way, breaking carboys have little to do with the need for a blowoff tube, so I digress.