NB Extract Kits; what's your favorite?

just wondering what some of your favorite extract kits are from northern brewer. i have purchased 4 so far, brewed and bottled 2, tried 0. i’m going to be stocking up on some more ale kits for the spring/summer and want some input.

my favorite for spring/summer

Chinook IPA
T-can and bearcat wheat
Dead ringer (3 hearted)

the caribou slobber is really good too

awesome. i have been thinking the caribou slobber is going to be the next one i get. i used to drink moose drool a lot! thanks.

I loved their kolsch extract. Excellent summer beer.

Waldo Lake amber and Rye IPA…the guy who wrote those recipes really knew what he was doing! :wink:

thanks guys, im looking into those right now. also another that stuck out at me was midnight beatdown wheaten porter. anyone ever brew this partial mash?

I’m a big fan of The Innkeeper kit.

I made the Midnight Beatdown as my first partial mash. My OG came up short (didn’t stir enough, I’ve since discovered) so I ran and got a pound of light DME I had left over from something else, boiled it with a quart or so of water, cooled it and tossed it in the fermenter. That got my OG pretty close.

The beer turned out to be one of my favorites, I’d highly recommend it, it’s probably even better if you do it right.

Out of all of the extract kits I did their ESB was my favorite. I have done a few all-grain recipes off of the web that are not half as good. I will be brewing their all-grain recipe again soon and it will probably be the only ESB I brew.

the innkeeper is on my list too.

[quote=“sclinchy”]I made the Midnight Beatdown as my first partial mash. My OG came up short (didn’t stir enough, I’ve since discovered) so I ran and got a pound of light DME I had left over from something else, boiled it with a quart or so of water, cooled it and tossed it in the fermenter. That got my OG pretty close.

The beer turned out to be one of my favorites, I’d highly recommend it, it’s probably even better if you do it right.[/quote]

yeah, i ordered it right after mentioning it here haha. you didnt stir the mash enough? ill be sure to take that into account, thank you. it sounds awesome, and i needed to step away from this amber/pale thing ive got going on…needed something from the dark side you know.

i might see if there is an extract or a partial for an ESB, because i am a fan, but not set up for all grain.

Wheaten Beatdown, Extra Pale Ale, and the Chinook IPA all kick butt ! The slobber is real nice too !

I love the Chinook IPA…brewed it twice…everyone who’s tried it likes it. On a side note, I gave a 6 pack of it to a colleague at work last week. He said, "It’s as good as any IPA I’ve ever tasted, I’d pay $10 a 6 for that beer at a liquor store)…That made me smile! Thanks for the assist Northern Brewer!

I’ve also brewed…Honey Wheat (4 times…great summer guzzler), Honey Nut brown, Irish Red (3 times), Cream Ale (Added 5# fresh blueberries in secondary)…all have been great! No disappointments yet!

Happy Brewing! :cheers:

The Innkeeper
Black Cherry Stout

yummy!

EVERYBODY liked the raspberry wheat!!! and I can’t seem to reproduce it by AG. Oh well I’ll keep trying.

In the order of preference of the ones I have made:

1. Extra Pale Ale
  2. Patersbier
    Speckled Heifer partial mash
  3. Nut Brown Ale
  4. Irish Red Ale (I let this one get warm in fermenting)

They all are great! Very little difference overall.

Schwarzbier with German Ale yeast and American Wheat with Weihenstephan.
Good schtuffs!
:cheers:

Wheaten Beatdown- Oh so HOPPY!!
St. Paul Porter - Give at least 6 months after bottling to get all the flavors perfect
Innkeeper - Quick and delicious. If you drink alot, keep this one in the cycle at all times (like me).

If you’re looking for lager:
+1 to Schwarzbier - Matly, Coffee-y and easily drinkable.

These are my favorites from the 20 or so kits I’ve bought.

looks like a lot of love for The Innkeeper which isn’t surprising. I’ve got one going right now and can’t wait for it to finish. Other than that, if I remember correctly the ESB from northern brewer was good and I also loved the Kolsch