NB cream ale modification

So want to put the NB extract kit into my fermenter this weekend but was thinking of some changes. One i was going to add 3oz of the strawberry extract and .25lb of Gambrinus Honey Malt.

what are your thoughts?

Adding strawberry to cream ale fits. I would be careful with the honey malt. A little goes a LONG way. Also not sure how strawberry and honey malt would work together as it could end up very sweet. Without knowing your desires or brew patterns you could brew one with strawberry and later another with honey malt. Then you could combine them after bottling/kegging and see if it would be something you wanted to brew.

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing with the strawberry extract. Im less than a week away from bottling and am going to try doing a half regular/half strawberry batch with the extract next week.

I added just over a pound of orange honey at flame out and it was too much for my taste. I’d love to see how strawberry turns out.

sent from Taptalk

please do tell me how your strawberry comes out. i think for the moment as suggested will just go with the strawberry extract. going to put the order in this monday for ingredients.

thanks for the info on the honey malt.

[quote=“TheRussian”]please do tell me how your strawberry comes out. i think for the moment as suggested will just go with the strawberry extract. going to put the order in this monday for ingredients.

thanks for the info on the honey malt.[/quote]

Bottled the cream ale w/strawberry last night. Did a quick taste test before & after adding 4 oz of the extract, so far so good. I bottled a couple regular bottles at the start to have something to compare it to come tasting day, but Im very optimistic for this batch.

[quote=“GRIZFAN20”][quote=“TheRussian”]please do tell me how your strawberry comes out. i think for the moment as suggested will just go with the strawberry extract. going to put the order in this monday for ingredients.

Bottled the cream ale w/strawberry last night. Did a quick taste test before & after adding 4 oz of the extract, so far so good. I bottled a couple regular bottles at the start to have something to compare it to come tasting day, but Im very optimistic for this batch.[/quote]

So how did that Strawberry Cream Ale turn out?

[quote=“TheRussian”][quote=“GRIZFAN20”][quote=“TheRussian”]please do tell me how your strawberry comes out. i think for the moment as suggested will just go with the strawberry extract. going to put the order in this monday for ingredients.

Bottled the cream ale w/strawberry last night. Did a quick taste test before & after adding 4 oz of the extract, so far so good. I bottled a couple regular bottles at the start to have something to compare it to come tasting day, but Im very optimistic for this batch.[/quote]

So how did that Strawberry Cream Ale turn out?[/quote]

Gonna test in a couple days, most likely Wednesday night. Will update as soon as I try it, hoping it turns out well.

Popped open my first bottles of the batch last night. Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. Out of a 5 gallon batch I made 6 regular bottles (to have something to compare the flavored ones to) and what turned out to be 42 strawberry ones. The regular cream ale was very smooth, excellent version of a cream ale.

The strawberry one was good as well. After the first 6 bottles were filled with regular cream ale, I mixed in the entire 4 oz bottle of extract into the bottling bucket. First sip hits you with the strawberry flavor, then settles into a more regular taste at the end of the sip. The flavoring isnt too artifical, but doesnt taste super natural either. The flavoring takes away some of the smoothness of the regular version, but doesnt dramatically change the beer itself. I was happy with how it turned out and my wife really liked it (which is who I made this batch for).

I will definitely do this combination again, but the next time I do it I think I will do a more 50/50 split between flavored/unflavored compared to doing the majority of the batch strawberry as I really enjoyed just the regular cream ale and wish I had more than 5 bottles left.