Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

NB Chocolate Milk Stout Yeast Option

About to purchase the NB Chocolate Milk Stout and wanted to get everyone’s opinion on their yeast choices. I’ve typically only used liquid yeast, but I see here the default is the Safale dry. Anyone tried both?

I believe the default for almost every recipe is a dry yeast, although some of their Belgian kits don’t have a dry yeast option.

That being said, I started a post a week or so ago about everybody’s preferred yeast for an Imperial Stout and S-04 was a popular choice (as was US-05, another dry yeast) so I can see this being a good choice for a Milk Stout.

Milk stouts are considered a “sweet” stout, but I would suggest s-05 over s-04 because it is more attenuative. Milk stouts have lactose, an unfermentable sugar. When you combine that with a low attenuating yeast like s-04, the result would be an cloyingly sweet beer, IMO.

According to this site, I can’t find much other information on it, but S-04’s range of attenuation is pretty high (72-75%)

S-04 is a highly flocculant yeast, so I don’t trust those attenuation #s. Add in the extract and lactose and it’s a recipe for a beer with too much residual sweetness. Again, YMMV on this.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com