So I just got the NB Bourbon Barrel Porter extract kit and plan to brew in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone brewed this and have any pointers to give? This will be only my second brew.
I plan to do the following:
- Aerate by pouring into fermenter through a strainer then shaking it up a bit before pitching
- Primary fermenter will be a 6gal plastic “Bubbler” carboy
- Pitch yeast at low 60’s in temp using two packs of Danstar Windsor yeast
- Maintain in the low 60’s with a “wet tshirt and fan” method during the entire fermentation
- Soak oak chips in half a bottle of bourbon for 2 weeks
- Rack to secondary after 2 weeks in primary and add bourbon and oak chips
- Leave in secondary for 2 weeks
- Bottle condition for a month or more.
Anyone see any issues with this?
My favorite beer of all time is Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout and I’m lucky enough to live in Cleveland and be able to enjoy this once a year (for $30 a 4-pack!) so hoping this comes close.