NB all grain kits...

I am taking the leap into all grain brewing and just have one question…so far…

Are the northern brewer all grain kits for 5 gallon batches?

Thanks

john

[quote=“Hypofix”]I am taking the leap into all grain brewing and just have one question…so far…

Are the northern brewer all grain kits for 5 gallon batches?

Thanks

john[/quote]

yes.

and i beleive 70 or 75 percent efficiency

Yes, and welcome to better beer!

They might design it for a 70-75% efficiency. But, I don’t think many reach it because of the light crush stores give the grains, mitigating stuck sparges… I would plan on a 60-65% for any store crushed grains.

I just put NB’s Amber Ale kit into qbrew. 5 gallons post boil gives 67% efficiency.

They might design it for a 70-75% efficiency. But, I don’t think many reach it because of the light crush stores give the grains, mitigating stuck sparges… I would plan on a 60-65% for any store crushed grains.

I just put NB’s Amber Ale kit into qbrew. 5 gallons post boil gives 67% efficiency.[/quote]

I use NB’s AG “recipes” all the time and routinely get 80-85% efficiency. I get my hops and yeast from NB, but I buy my grain from my LHBS, crush it there; then come home and brew.

My recent batch results were: dubbel @87%; mild @ 85%; innkeeper @ 83%; and also got 86% on my yellow lager, 84% on my pale, and 85% on my red lager.

:cheers:

your constantly going to have differenty efficiencies, everyone uses different water, systems…etc.
if you rbuying a kit you have to take into account the way it was designed at NB to your system

I have no difficulty meeting or exceeding the expected OG with precrushed kits from NB. Either the crush is more than adequate, or the portions are generous.

Then you usually get better efficiency than what they are designed for. I am sure there are plenty of people that get lower numbers to
I would assume the portions are pretty spot on, a little difference in some of those specialty grains and such will change what you are making in color flavor…etc.

I usually hit a couple points above on OG but then I use NBs water.