Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Myrcene Extaction - Aroma Steep

Hello

So i have been reading up on Hop chemistry.

I am looking to get as much flavor from my aroma hops as possible (Cascade) which is high in the hop oil Myrcene.

Listing to a webcast by BeerSmith on Hop Chemistry.

The chap from the hop farm says its best to steep your high Myrcene hops at around 45 degree’s C as this is when the oil can be best extracted.

Anyone have any views on this. The Chemistry and theory seems sound.

I’ve been thinking along the same lines myself, but I was thinking about all the hop oils, not just Myrcene. My only question is how temperature relates to solubility of oils. In other words, even though a particular oil flashes off above a certain temperature, does it dissolve into solution faster than it flashes off?

I’m planning on testing this at some point. My plan is to take a batch of wort and split it into 5 parts immediately after boiling. Four of them go into an ice bath right away, and one gets hops immediately and steeps at room temp for a specific length of time. After that, it goes back into the ice bath to finish chilling. The other four get pulled out one-by-one as they reach the flash point of each of the 4 major hop oils. They would each in turn get a dose of hops and steep at room temp for the same length of time, then go back into the ice bath. I’m curious if you can bring out different flavors/aromas depending on what temp you steep at, and whether the overall hop flavor/aroma will be increased or decreased versus the high-temp hop steep.

I figure I’ll do this in an APA, and use a clean bittering hop at 60 minutes to get to ~30 IBU. Then I’ll start looking into oil content of the various hops I have on hand and pick one (or a blend of 2) that will give me a fair amount of each of the various oils to use for the flameout hopping.

I did a small batch yesterday and hopped with Centennial. At the magic 45 degrees C

I didn’t really see a big increase if anything less of a hoppy punch that the standard flame out addition i normal do for the recipe (APA).

Hmmm.

Interesting. How long did you steep at that temp?

Steeped for around 10 minutes.

So i guess that poses another question. What is the optional time for extraction.

The beer is close to finishing primary and is starting to show some REAL big fruit flavor now.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com