My Yeast Survived the Blizzard!

So I ordered Giga Yeast Conan from California on the 20th, and it arrives today after being holed up in CT for a number of days to weather the storm.
This yeast comes in a pack of 200B cells.
How big of a starter should I make to get these barbarians in prime fighting form?

[quote=“Worts_Worth”]So I ordered Giga Yeast Conan from California on the 20th, and it arrives today after being holed up in CT for a number of days to weather the storm.
This yeast comes in a pack of 200B cells.
How big of a starter should I make to get these barbarians in prime fighting form?[/quote]
starter size would be dependent upon the beer you intend to brew.

You can use one of these yeast starter calculators to get there.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

The beer I’m brewing is a Heady Topper clone, so about 1.075

I know about these calculators, but they don’t take into account a ten day cross country voyage battling the elements.

I’ll prob. just do a liter starter to get it going, its not like its summer or anything…

[quote=“Worts_Worth”]The beer I’m brewing is a Heady Topper clone, so about 1.075

I know about these calculators, but they don’t take into account a ten day cross country voyage battling the elements.

I’ll prob. just do a liter starter to get it going, its not like its summer or anything…[/quote]

They do though. On the brewer’s friend one, you put in the manufacturing date of the yeast from the package. That will estimate viability based on how long the yeast has been in the packaging.

Since it’s not summer, the yeast was probably OK during transit, it just took a little longer. That can be accounted for in the calculator with the dates.

If you ordered on the 20th, it was probably manufactured well before that. I’ve gotten some that I ordered and were already a month old when I received them. Based on my rough estimation, a 1L starter even with using a stirplate will give you an underpitch.

[quote=“Templar”][quote=“Worts_Worth”]The beer I’m brewing is a Heady Topper clone, so about 1.075

I’ll prob. just do a liter starter to get it going, its not like its summer or anything…[/quote]

They do though. On the brewer’s friend one, you put in the manufacturing date of the yeast from the package. That will estimate viability based on how long the yeast has been in the packaging.

Since it’s not summer, the yeast was probably OK during transit, it just took a little longer. That can be accounted for in the calculator with the dates.

If you ordered on the 20th, it was probably manufactured well before that. I’ve gotten some that I ordered and were already a month old when I received them. Based on my rough estimation, a 1L starter even with using a stirplate will give you an underpitch.[/quote]

1L would be under pitching. At minimum you’ll need 1L stepped up to 1.5L and that’s assuming a january production date.

Yeah this brand of yeast pack has 200B cells per pack. Under normal conditions with a production date of 1/7 a 1 liter starter would be fine according to the brewers friend. But this one arrived partially frozen, so I’m going to step it up another liter tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help

Oh…yea I missed the 200B cells part. Carry on good sir!