My tripel got really hot

I think there’s a ton of flexibility with these beers and that is the allure of the style. I just try to make sure guys don’t start too high since that’s a guaranteed fusel bomb.

Let me ask you guys: Are you cooling AND heating to achieve these schedules? I just let mine go on it’s own…

For Belgians, I’ll often pitch around 65-68F or so and hold for 3-4 days. Then I’ll take the fermentor out of the fridge and let the temp climb as it pleases. Of course this depends on the style of Belgian I’m brewing and the specific yeast. For a Patersbier I like to hold the cooler temp for longer to keep the flavors in check, considering the lighter more delicate beer. BUT I also really like big, hoppy, Belgian IPAs. I really like those Belgian yeast flavors to come through, so I may start a little higher and let it rise after just a few days.

For Saisons I’ll start even higher. Usually around 70F and use the same procedure. I don’t mind if they climb up into the high 70’s or low 80’s.

As for most other ales I’ll pitch and hold between 58-62F for about 5 days. Then I’ll slowly increase the temp over a few days up to the 68-70F.

For lagers, I’ll pitch around 48-50F and hold for 5-7 days. I then slowly increase the temp 1-2 degrees a day until I get to the mid 60’s. Hold that for a day or two, then drop down to lagering temps. From pitch to lagering is about 15-20 days.

I’ve been happy with most of my beers using these schedules. A mini-fridge with temp controller is a huge help of course. f

[quote=“Wahoo”]So as far as what is a good temp for a tripel, my opinion does differ some from Denny. While I also use 3787 most often, I like to start my fermentations around 66-68 and then after the first 3 days, slowly increase the temp until I am around 76-78. I find this helps finish the beer out, and also does provide the level of esters (pear, banana) that I desire in a tripel. I’ve done them in the 60s the whole time, and especially with 3787, the beer just comes out too clean.

I use similar fermentation schedules for all my belgian abbey/trappist styles. If you want to be serious about this style, I think you have to find a strain, a pitching rate, and fermentation temps that works best for you.[/quote]

Have you ever had a Westmalle tripel? That’s the goal I shoot for in a tripel and why I use 3787. My perception of Westmalle is that it’s not very estery and I find that I can get closest to it with a lower fermentation temp. Of course, if your goals are different then you should do what it takes to achieve them. But I love Westmalle and since they invented the style I like to make it my target.

if you can tolerate it drink it, if not dump it and lesson learned.

I disagree. If you can’t tolerate it, invite friends!

Just make sure they don’t sleep over… :lol:

Totally agree that Westmalle is not very estery AND also is a bit more bitter than most homebrewers typically make their tripels.

Totally agree that Westmalle is not very estery AND also is a bit more bitter than most homebrewers typically make their tripels.[/quote]

Why would you want to serve shitty beer to freinds?

I was kidding… but I suppose that didn’t go over very well. I should explain: IF this beer was fermented too warm and there are fusels and other higher alcohols present and if one consumes enough of said beer then odds are one will have a WICKED hangover the following day.

Totally agree that Westmalle is not very estery AND also is a bit more bitter than most homebrewers typically make their tripels.[/quote]

Why would you want to serve #### beer to freinds?[/quote]

I’ve brewed beers that I didn’t like, but friends did.

Real friends can be honest and tactful.

Assholes just criticize.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Wahoo”]So as far as what is a good temp for a tripel, my opinion does differ some from Denny. While I also use 3787 most often, I like to start my fermentations around 66-68 and then after the first 3 days, slowly increase the temp until I am around 76-78. I find this helps finish the beer out, and also does provide the level of esters (pear, banana) that I desire in a tripel. I’ve done them in the 60s the whole time, and especially with 3787, the beer just comes out too clean.

I use similar fermentation schedules for all my belgian abbey/trappist styles. If you want to be serious about this style, I think you have to find a strain, a pitching rate, and fermentation temps that works best for you.[/quote]

Have you ever had a Westmalle tripel? That’s the goal I shoot for in a tripel and why I use 3787. My perception of Westmalle is that it’s not very estery and I find that I can get closest to it with a lower fermentation temp. Of course, if your goals are different then you should do what it takes to achieve them. But I love Westmalle and since they invented the style I like to make it my target.[/quote]

Exactly. I’ve had Westmalle, and while it is tremendous, I like my beers a little more estery than Westmalle-- furthermore, I think in a competition situation, I think more esters help with providing what most judges expect out of a Belgian/Trappist ale (within reason, of course… “more” is not necesarily “better”). I think the same goes for dubbels-- westmalle dubbel is fantastic but much cleaner than many of it’s peers.

Wahoo, I like mine more estery too. Do you prefer to age your belgians or go at em fresh? I am looking to try to get my esters to “pop” a bit and give me more fruit and wonder if aging will help.

We talkin’ people, or beer? :lol:
In general, I find that my belgian beers do increase with age (I’m talking trappist/abbey styles, here… not wits, BPAs, etc). In general I find my blond colored ones are in good shape for up to 12 months, and my dubbels and quads even longer.

Thanks. What would you say is the minimum aging for an estery tripel?

Until it tastes good. Trust your taste buds, not the calendar.

For the record, the temps I am talking about above are fermenting beer temps, not ambient. I find a tripel, especially if you pitch enough yeast, can get 10-12 degrees above ambient during the peak of fermentation. I find having the ability to control temps accurately is one of the keys to brewing this style well.

i have a standing freezer with a st-1000 that i use for fermenting (usually). i really expected this one to blow and have never experienced a blow out before. I didn’t know what to expect but i figured a closed cooler would contain any mess that could be made (at least i was right about that). this batch gets worse smelling every day so i am going to start over. I WILL have it in the freezer ambient temp set at 60° (unless someone has a better temp in mind) and, i WILL have a blow off tube in place