My Rye Ale

I am looking to do a Rye Ale. Can you please let me know if this looks okay?

7 lbs Light LME
1 lbs Rye
.75 Cystal 80
.25 Flaked Barley
.25 Victory Malt

.5 Magnum @ 30 mins
.5 Hallertau Mitt @ 5 mins
.5 Cascade @ 5 mins

OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 25
SRM 10
Abv 5.0

Thanks for any feed back

Justin

Malted rye or flaked? If it’s flaked, you need some base malt in there and you need to do a minimash. If it’s rye malt, it will convert itself. Also, that’s a pretty small amount of rye. It may not be too noticeable.

BTW, NB sells a rye extract. You may want to look into that. It’s good stuff!

Thanks Denny, it is malted rye. How much would you recommend? I am brewing tomorrow, so I don’t think that NB would be able to get the Rye extract here in time. But I will consider it for the next one. Thanks for the heads up.

How does the rest of the list look?

[quote=“majorora”]Thanks Denny, it is malted rye. How much would you recommend? I am brewing tomorrow, so I don’t think that NB would be able to get the Rye extract here in time. But I will consider it for the next one. Thanks for the heads up.

How does the rest of the list look?[/quote]

I like to get pretty close to 20% (or more) of the grist as rye. In your case, I think upping it to 2 lb. would be appropriate. But that’s me…you could brew it as is and see what your impressions are. The rest of the recipe looks fine. A bit low on IBU for my taste, but then again, it’s not my beer!

Thanks. I will up it to 2 lbs…I love rye beers but have never made one so Iwas going into this blind. Do you think iI should bitter with a full ounce of the magnum @60?

Since I don’t know what the AA of the Magnum is, or what your boil volume will be, I have no way of knowing.

Yesterday I bottled a batch of rye bitter that turned out great.