My plan for my English Draught Cider

Ran the fermentation of 5.5 gallons of mixed varietal unpasteurized juice (treated with camden by me) at 55 for 10 days, then up to 60 for 5 days, then 65 for another few weeks. It has started to clear on its own. Pulled a sample, it was tart and dry with good acidity.

I’m planning on cold-crashing, treating with potassium sorbate, pulling a 12oz sample and splitting into a few samples, each backsweetened with varying amounts of fresh cider. Then I will scale that up, backsweeten (if that is the winner of the tasting) keg, force carb, bottle a few, and serve the rest from the keg.

Good plan?

Is pectic enzyme necessary?

Sounds good. You can skip the pectic enzyme. I don’t use it and still get crystal clarity (although I do usually use gelatin).

It’s a horse a piece. :roll:

[quote=“hans caravan”]
It’s a horse a piece. :roll: [/quote]

What the what?

Must be a Wisconsin saying.

To tell someone that adding pectic enzyme is unnecessary but using gelatin gets clear cider isn’t helpful. Both achieve the same thing but through different means. And both are more work than letting the cider clear on it’s own.

[quote=“hans caravan”]Must be a Wisconsin saying.

To tell someone that adding pectic enzyme is unnecessary but using gelatin gets clear cider isn’t helpful. Both achieve the same thing but through different means. And both are more work than letting the cider clear on it’s own.[/quote]

I would make a derogatory comment about Wisconsin, but (1) i’ve loved it every time i’ve been there (especially Madison) and (2) you can get New Glarus and I can’t.

The cider is clearing quite nicely being stored in the basement.