My other hobby

Just wanted to tell a funny story. As well as brewing, I also enjoy gardening. Last fall a friend had given me some hot peppers that his friend grew. There was an assortment but one them was a ghost pepper. I cut it open and harvested the seeds but never used the pepper. This past spring came and I planted the seeds. I grew some very nice ghost pepper plants. I never experienced a ghost pepper but have heard about them so this morning when I picked the first ripe ones of the year I was very careful in my first ghost experience. I cut one in half and took one half and carefully, ever so slightly touched the tip of the pepper to the tip of my tongue. The contact area was about the size of a head of a pin. Approximately 3 seconds after doing that my tongue was on fire and my face turned red. This is the most intensely hot pepper I have ever had and I have to say that I pride myself on my ability to eat spicy foods so it’s not like I am a spice wuss. I cut all the peppers in half and am presently dehydrating them for use through the winter months. I also harvested some seeds so that I can carry on the growing next year.

Describe the color, size, shape, and dimensions of the peppers.

In some areas, ghost peppers are hung from fences to stop elephants from rubbing against them

You live in an interesting neighborhood, can’t say I’ve seen that around here.

The color is dark purple. About 2 inches in length and around half as wide. It sort of ribbed. they all sem to be trying to hook at the end.

I forgot where on the spice meter Ghost Peppers fell. Buffalo Wild Wings had a special sauce a few months back and I’ve tried them all so far. Without thinking I went ahead and ordered the GP wings and WOW, eyes watering, nose watering, tongue on fire. They even put a little flag on them to warn patrons.

They are called ember peppers. A lot of people grow them as ornamental they are edible.

It should work in Deer Park, NY where the OP is! :lol:

I will hang it on the fence to keep the deer away.

Damn, now that’s just too hot. I like spicy food and went through a phase about 5 or 6 years ago where I’d eat the hottest food I could get. But anymore, I like food to be pleasantly spicy so I can actually taste it, rather than just feeling the burn. Just like beer, it’s all about balance! For me, that is…

I planted some Habaneros the wife brought home this spring. Never found a good use for them. They are simply too freakin’ hottt!

I use habanero and all my hot peppers to make hot sauce. Control the heat by adding vinigar.

The nice thing is that I like spicy foods, and yes these are too hot. BUt that’s the beauty. I can dry 5 or 6 of them and then use them throughout the winter by ust snipping a small piece and adding it to my cooking. I can make a pot of soup and just plunk in a snipping of the pepper and it gives the whole pot of soup that desired zing. In the past I would dry several strings of peppers and I would use 2 or so in each soup.

I’ve never been a spicy food guy. Just don’t like it.
But about 6 months ago went to BW3s with a married from India that I met years ago in college (in US) that moved back.

The husband was not that into spicy stuff either. But the wife ordered a basket of these super hot ones and proceeded to eat them like they were the teriyaki ones without blinking an eye.

I have no idea how she did it.

The guys I work with are really into hot peppers. They have brought in ghost peppers, biker billy jalapeño hybrids, and a new one this year called a carolina reaper. The reaper had amazing heat with staying power, but wonderful flavor when cooked, especially in chili.

The infamous Bhut Jolokia…what a wicked thing. It does interest me that one can hang these on one fence, and keep animals out of the garden. Other than that, I don’t know if I’d have any use for something that hot. A good ol’ habanero will do.

Anyone ever use it to make an ale? Maybe sub it in the Smoke Bomb kit? That could be interesting. I’ve noticed the spicey kick fades over time with conditioning.

Prost!!! :blah:

Here’s my final Carolina Reaper harvest from my two plants this year. Far hotter than the Ghost!
[attachment=0]IMG_20141019_162014_271.jpg[/attachment]

Far hotter than the ghost? Come on now. There comes a point where you really can’t say hotter than whatever. That’s like sticking your finger into molten steel and saying, “wow, that feels hotter than sticking my hand in molten aluminum”.

:cheers:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Here’s my final Carolina Reaper harvest from my two plants this year. Far hotter than the Ghost!
[attachment=0]IMG_20141019_162014_271.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

That’s a ton of peppers! What do with all of them? Bet they make a killer hot sauce.