My mini barleywine - questions

I did a BIAB barleywine, 3 gallan batch and my targets were all basically missed.

My OG was 1.061 so I renamed it mymini barleywine.

Since my gravity was fairly low for the style, my guess is that effects the aging recommendations for the brew. Would I now treat this as any other brew with that gravity and bottle, condition, drink sooner than a “normal” barleywine?

Guess just wondering what you all with more brews under your belt would recommend.

What’s your recipe?

Pale Malt (2 Row) US 9lbs
Caramunich Malt 0.6lbs
Caravienne 0.6lbs

1.2 oz of Magnum at 60
1.2 oz cascade at 5
1.2 oc cascade at 1

Ya know, no offense but at 1.061 I don’t think even “mini” BW fits. It’s barely an IPA.

My first thought was that I would drink that quickly to get a nice cascade vibe but looking back at it that’s probably a ton of IBUs for a three gallon batch with that much magnum at 60. Try it in a month, if it tastes good drink it. If the hops are too much wait it out.

Brew a real barleywine, move the current beer to secondary or bottle while the Barleywine chills and use the yeast cake for the real barleywine.

:cheers: renamed yet again “icouldababarleywine”.

Guess i’ll run the middle of the road and sample it in a few weeks to see what shakes out.

Kgetch,

I am brewing my first barelywine tomorrow, so I am not by any means experienced in barleywine brewing. BUT…based on your grain bill compared to my recipe, I would think that is where the problem is.

My grain bill calls for over 20lbs of grain for the barleywine. The efficiency will be lower, but that amount of grain will provide enough sugars giving me the high gravity I need (1.100). Your grain bills looks to be under 10lbs which would explain the low gravity for that beer style. I know that the mash temp and length plays a role in enzyme conversion, but I think it might be as simple as your grain bill. The grain bill you have is actually smaller than the grain bill I used for an Irish Honey Ale which gave me an OG of 1.062.

My grain bill:
19.3lbs Crisp English Pale ale malt
8.8oz Caramel Munich malt (60L)
8.8oz Crystal Malt (120L)

I’ll give you feedback on my numbers if your interested. Just let me know. Either way…,YOU MADE BEER! :cheers:

[quote=“lmarkis”]My grain bill calls for over 20lbs of grain for the barleywine. The efficiency will be lower, but that amount of grain will provide enough sugars giving me the high gravity I need (1.100). Your grain bills looks to be under 10lbs which would explain the low gravity for that beer style.[/quote]Check the OP’s volume for the batch… :wink:

HAHAHAHA…thanks, overlooked that one.

yes, 3 gallon batch.

I’ll try another sometime but not do BIAB to see if it gets more wineish.

took a grav reading last weekend and it was 1.021 will be taking one tonight to see how its doing.

Smelled good regardless. I made beer. :cheers:

[quote=“Kgetch”]I’ll try another sometime but not do BIAB to see if it gets more wineish.[/quote]Using a bag will not have a negative effect on its own, but you do need to stir thoroughly at the start and the end and it does help to do a 10-15 minute bump to 163-165F at the end of the mash to squeeze a few points more out of the enzymes and thin the wort for draining.

Shadetree, found my problems and posted in a thread in the AG section…none were because of the BIAB process. I will definately do this again but will be smaller batches since I made the mistake of only getting an 8 gallon kettle…knew I should have got the 40 quart!

btw…I did bump it up to 165-ish for 10 mins after the main mash…like to think that saved me a little.

:cheers: