My latest Vienna Lager

It’s such a small amount it’s really just for color.[/quote]
I really wasn’t worried. Just thought was little funny and didn’t notice till few weeks later my little mistake. I’m sure the beer will be great.

I used 2 oz of carafa special III because it’s what I had on hand. I like the carafa special when I’m using it to adjust color. Special is dehusked so it will add even less roasty flavor.

Racked the vienna to a keg today after about a month lagering in a carboy. Looks really clear, tastes good, 1.008 FG. Starsan was really low in the 3 piece airlock. Hoping that doesn’t prove to be an issue.

wanted to do a smash Vienna lager (all-Vienna malt). It would probably be too light colored per style though, am I correct?

It would probably according to BJCP, but if you aren’t going to enter it into a comp then I say go for it!

I did a 1.050 OG SMASH Vienna with Saaz, mashed at 152. The flavor was good with an adequate malt flavor, but it seemed light-bodied for my taste. I’d recommend you mash higher than 152 - maybe 156 - 158 and a higher OG.

Tasted my first attempt at this recipe today. So good! Crystal clear, 11-12 SRM, good head but dissipates quickly, decent lacing, some malt/caramel aroma, good malty flavor but just enough spiciness from the hops to balance it, good dry crisp finish. I could see keeping this on tap year round. I did a second batch a couple weeks after this with all hersbrucker hops because I got a couple pounds of them very cheap. Will be interesting to compare the two.

5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pils (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Dark (15.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM)
1.75 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop
0.50 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
decanted 2L starter w/ 300ml 2206 slurry - 540bil cells per brewer’s friend

Mine’s still lagering away at 34 degrees. I decided to secondary this beer due to little mistake of no empty kegs to put it in just yet and I really hate to bottle it…

Awesome. Glad yours turned out well. Let me know how the Hersbrucker recipe turns out. Sounds like it would be equally as tasty.

Finally got to keg my Vienna here is a pic of color it turned out not carbed though. Not the best pic got new phone and hard to post pics from it. In the glass is a little that was left in fermenter. It tasted great even with out being carbed. Thanks Matt for sharing the recipe!!!

I’m havin’ a few of Matt’s Vienna Lagers right now…So good.

A few? Looks as if mabbe you were drunk when took photo… :oops:

It’s the damn phone! A sad testament to my photography skills, I’d only had one when I took that shot.

Haha! The picture I see now looks beautiful.

Got my Vienna Lager Smash in fermenter myself, with high hopes for it.

Danny that’s a beautiful beer. I thought mine was little dark until saw your pic. Still not taped my keg yet setting at 34 degrees. So how’s the taste. So I know what to expect.

Brewed it with Avangard Munich Dark which is 15l and it had a couple ounces of carafa special III in it so yea it’s on the dark side.

How’s the taste? Freakin’ awesome!

Just started cracking open the first of my Viennas that I brewed back on ‘Black Friday’. A little darker than last year’s version, and real nice and malty. Reminds me of the Negra Modelo that I had a couple weeks ago at a Mexican restaurant. I’m happy with it.

Looks awesome! Going to have to brew this one again soon.

That’s a pretty good comparison actually. I’d say mine is a bit like Negra Modelo with more body and flavor.

I tasted the all Hersbrucker Vienna today. I brewed it 1/11 and it’s been lagering since 1/24. It’s pretty clear. The aroma and flavor remind me of a pilsner and kind of overwhelms the maltiness. Kind of a funky aroma and sharp bitterness that just isn’t what I like in the style. It’s a decent beer but I definitely like Matt’s hallertau vienna better. No rush to serve it so we’ll see how it is with more lagering.