Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

My latest Vienna Lager

Mostly making this post for dannyboy58 and cause I didn’t want to post a recipe in another thread and be “that guy” posting off topic. Without further ado:

Das Haar Vienna Lager

Batch size: 5 gallons bottled
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
IBU: 21

Grains:
5lbs Weyermann Vienna Malt
2.5lbs Best Malz Pilsner Malt
1.5lbs Weyermann Munich Malt (5-7L)
3.2oz Carafa II

Hops:
17 IBU Hallertau @ 60 min
4 IBU Hallertau @ 15 min

Yeast:
Saflager 34/70

Used Munich (boiled) water profile in BrunWater

Mashed at 153-152 range for 60 minutes

I pitched about half of the slurry from a really slow starting Pilsner that I pitched 2 packs in. I hit it with pure O2 for about 75 seconds and I had full krausen 24 hours later. If you don’t have 34/70 slurry I would suggest at least 3 packs rehydrated.

I fermented at 50 degrees for about 8 days then bumped it up to 58 for the obligatory but rarely needed diacetyl rest. Racked of yeast and lagered for a month.

The last time I made this I screwed up and used Hallertau Mittelfruh which has a much lower AA than the generic Hallertau I put in BeerSmith and I forgot to correct it. The bitterness on this was obviously lower than intended (around 12 instead of 21). I just sampled my first one yesterday (slightly undercarbed at the moment but I couldnt wait) and the malt flavor on this is amazing. So clean. I assume mostly due to pitching such a healthy amount of yeast. If I had the bitterness dialed up where I wanted to this might be one of the best German lagers I’ve ever tasted.

If anyone ends up brewing this one, let me know how it turns out.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Mostly making this post for dannyboy58 and cause I didn’t want to post a recipe in another thread and be “that guy” posting off topic. Without further ado:

Das Haar Vienna Lager

Batch size: 5 gallons bottled
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
IBU: 21

Grains:
5lbs Weyermann Vienna Malt
2.5lbs Best Malz Pilsner Malt
1.5lbs Weyermann Munich Malt (5-7L)
3.2oz Carafa II

Hops:
17 IBU Hallertau @ 60 min
4 IBU Hallertau @ 15 min

Yeast:
Saflager 34/70

Used Munich (boiled) water profile in BrunWater

Mashed at 153-152 range for 60 minutes

I pitched about half of the slurry from a really slow starting Pilsner that I pitched 2 packs in. I hit it with pure O2 for about 75 seconds and I had full krausen 24 hours later. If you don’t have 34/70 slurry I would suggest at least 3 packs rehydrated.

I fermented at 50 degrees for about 8 days then bumped it up to 58 for the obligatory but rarely needed diacetyl rest. Racked of yeast and lagered for a month.

The last time I made this I screwed up and used Hallertau Mittelfruh which has a much lower AA than the generic Hallertau I put in BeerSmith and I forgot to correct it. The bitterness on this was obviously lower than intended (around 12 instead of 21). I just sampled my first one yesterday (slightly undercarbed at the moment but I couldnt wait) and the malt flavor on this is amazing. So clean. I assume mostly due to pitching such a healthy amount of yeast. If I had the bitterness dialed up where I wanted to this might be one of the best German lagers I’ve ever tasted.

If anyone ends up brewing this one, let me know how it turns out.[/quote]

Thanks Matt! I’ll be brewing it this weekend if all goes according to plan.

I may use the 34/70 or I may go with a Bavarian lager or Ofest yeast both of which are recently saved slurries.

I’ll give some feedback here in a couple months.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Interesting Matt, that’s almost exactly the same recipe that I did last year and will repeat this Friday.
Turned out real nice, and my notes say" lock this one in". Still refining my Oktoberfest, but think I have the Vienna down pat.

[quote=“JimRMaine”]Interesting Matt, that’s almost exactly the same recipe that I did last year and will repeat this Friday.
Turned out real nice, and my notes say" lock this one in". Still refining my Oktoberfest, but think I have the Vienna down pat.[/quote]

Yeah it’s a very simple but tasty recipe!

Matt I’m going to brew your recipe this weekend stoped at the local home brew store and picked up everything. Be nice to have a little change of Vienna lager I been brewing same recipe for few years Vienna malt Munich malt and carared malt in my Vienna lager. Simple and damn good beer. Looking forward to your recipe

Tasted it today when I took a gravity reading. 1.018. Tasted really good even warm and flat. Warming it up(long story - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=123739) to rouse the yeast in hopes to knock off a few more points.

Yeah mine usually finishes around 1.010. Hope you can get that gravity down but if not I’m sure it will be a tasty beer nonetheless.

Excellent. Keep me posted on how this ends up.

So today was brew day ever thing went well gravity was little higher then yours Matt 1.050 not enough to worry about in my opinion. Now the wait begins. I will keep you updated how it turns out Matt.

Matt’s recipe above, brewed 12/3 fermented with Wy Bav Lager 2206, pumped it right in on the yeast cake from a previously fermented Dunkel.

Racked it to a secondary carboy today for lagering as no kegs available.

1.012 sg right out of the carboy at room temp. Probably a point or 2 lower after decarbing. Smells and tastes great!

After sipping on a few of these I made with 34/70 it really kinda loses something. Since its such a clean yeast I think it really loses some of the character that made it so tasty. I originally made it with WLP820 which is the same strain as 2206. Hope this comes out good for you!

Sometime try a 100% Vienna malt bill if you have never done it. Comes out like a malty Helles and pretty darn good. I brew that as a spring and fall beer rotating it out for Helles in the summer.

1 Like

That actually sounds pretty tasty. I may have to give that a whirl.

Matt you could always try my recipe simple and malt vienna
6 lbs Vienna malt
2.5 lbs dark Munich
2 lbs carared.
Same mash temps as yours and Hops

[quote=“damian_winter”]Matt you could always try my recipe simple and malt vienna
6 lbs Vienna malt
2.5 lbs dark Munich
2 lbs carared.
Same mash temps as yours and Hops[/quote]

That’s a lot of carared. Does it have a lot of residual sweetness?

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“damian_winter”]Matt you could always try my recipe simple and malt vienna
6 lbs Vienna malt
2.5 lbs dark Munich
2 lbs carared.
Same mash temps as yours and Hops[/quote]

That’s a lot of carared. Does it have a lot of residual sweetness?[/quote]
No I was surprised too. Really brings out the malt and a nice red tent. Have you ever had sierra navada Vienna lager. Taste a lot like that but they use bravo and crystal hops and few others. That’s only 19% carared although it is a crystal malt it is different than crystal 20. I have used on few recipes up to.25% and never had the residual sweetness that you get from other crystal malts.

By the way, I also brew the 100% Vienna malt bill to about OG 1:060 and call it a Texas Festbier. I serve it in September when Oktoberfest starts and its still well into the 90s here in South Texas. I then serve a Marzen style in October. Oktoberfest lasts a month in my house :slight_smile:

100% Vienna
Hallertau Tradition @ 60 bittering
German Tettnang @ 10 flavor/aroma
WYeast 2206 Weihenstephan

I use about 28 IBU in the Vienna and about 32 IBU in the Festbier version. You need a little more hops than you might expect due to the maltiness of the Vienna. In my experience drinking beer in Germany, they are more balanced (not hoppy) than I think most people realize.

[quote=“mlsouth”]By the way, I also brew the 100% Vienna malt bill to about OG 1:060 and call it a Texas Festbier. I serve it in September when Oktoberfest starts and its still well into the 90s here in South Texas. I then serve a Marzen style in October. Oktoberfest lasts a month in my house :slight_smile:

100% Vienna
Hallertau Tradition @ 60 bittering
German Tettnang @ 10 flavor/aroma
WYeast 2206 Weihenstephan

I use about 28 IBU in the Vienna and about 32 IBU in the Festbier version. You need a little more hops than you might expect due to the maltiness of the Vienna. In my experience drinking beer in Germany, they are more balanced (not hoppy) than I think most people realize.[/quote]
+1
Thanks for posting the recipe. Looks like a good beer. Kind of a German SMASH really. You’re just bittering with the tradition. More malt than a pils. May have to try this for a spring beer.

I have a fresh slurry of 2206.

So I got home from work little early today. Thought to my self good day to brew up a batch. I got all my stuff out and my recipe called for carafa2 thought no problem I still had some from Matt’s Vienna recipe. Then I discovered that in my hast at the brew shop I grab carafa3 instead and brew Matt’s Vienna with it. Thought Danny and Matt might enjoy my little mistake. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

It’s such a small amount it’s really just for color.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com