My first pellicle

These were transferred the old fashioned way. Lift kettle, pour wort through strainer/funnel.

The funnel was a new one since the irish draught was brewed. I’m starting to suspect the strainer but it’s stainless and gets washed and sanitized.[/quote]
what do you use to sanitize? STar San I assume?
Are you positive it was effective? (ph in check) I use distilled but If I mix the normal amount of star san with my tap water it is not effective

Do a wort stability test on the rest of your batches[/quote]

Star San. I usually mix it with my tap water. Always check it with the pH meter. Never seen it over or even very close to 3.0. I’ve been mixing a new batch on brew days regardless.

it is not airbonre and contaminating your whole room (never got where that homebrew mantra came from). I brew sours and open them up so by that thought there is brett and lacto and pedio everywhere in my brew room but I do not get cross contamination to my clean beers that are right next to the sours.

You probaby have something dirty post boil, throw out siphon, hoses, racking canes, keg seals, popits, etc any thing and everything plastic.
Brew again and do a wort stability test[/quote]
So it’s not floating around a leaping in my wort unless it’s on the legs of fruit flies? That’s somewhat comforting.

Guess I’ll burn all the plastics and PBW everything else when I get home today.

Bummer I was hoping to do a side by side of my centennial IPA, one with 2 row and one with maris otter. Alas poor maris we never knew ye…

Thanks for the support guys![/quote]

bacteria, wild yeast don’t crawl around into vessels.
Make sure you do wort stabilility…it will tell you if you have something drastically wrong with your wort or if you have sanitation issue since you you will have all new equipment

forgot to mention on your wort stability test, take a little extra and do a forced ferment to to see if you have any other issues in fermentation.
and gives you the bonus of attenuation and such to

It has to be something post-boil, and I’m wondering if it could be your plate chiller. Just to be on the safe side, do a long PBW soak for it, and then blast it out running the water both ways through the wort channel. Bet you’ll get some nasty looking stuff out of there. Biggest downside to plate chillers is they are tough to clean. I’ve never gotten an infection from mine, but I’m very anal about making sure I keep hops and big chunks of trub out and that it gets a thorough sanitizing before use and a good cleaning after.

does he have a plate chiller? He said he was dumping in the fermenter so I would assume he does not have one if he is doing that

I just got the plate chiller last week. Didn’t use it for either of these brews. Used my copper IC which was soaked in starsan and then dropped in the kettle for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

I had a lingering problem with beers being stable for weeks then re-fermenting in the bottles and ending up as gushers. I replaced everything plastic except beer thief and funnel and still had a problem but after replacing both the problem has stopped. Point being think of anything that might not be your first suspects, not sure which it was but those weren’t my first thoughts. Good luck hope you figure it out