My First Brew

Sounds like it’s undercarbed. What temps are you storing your bottles at while they were carbing? You should keep them around the mid 70’s. Some beers can take up to 3 weeks to fully carb.

Sounds like it’s undercarbed. What temps are you storing your bottles at while they were carbing? You should keep them around the mid 70’s. Some beers can take up to 3 weeks to fully carb.[/quote]

Hmmm…when I popped open the first bottle it seemed rather well carbed, as there was a decent amount of “smoke” in the top of the bottle, and there was a nice his when I removed the cap.

I stored the bottles in my pantry, which is in my garage, though since it was still “winter” here it was still relatively cool in there (generally got down into the 50’s at night, as I live in the California central valley). I guess I will need to find a bit warmer place to store bottles while doing the conditioning.

Food for thought for when I bottle my honey ale that is currently in it’s last week of fermentation.

KnoticalBrewer,

Have you sampled the beer that was carbonated in the growler? Interested in an update when you get a chance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

[quote=“honez1414”]KnoticalBrewer,

Have you sampled the beer that was carbonated in the growler? Interested in an update when you get a chance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yup, though that was well over a month ago, and all of the that batch is already gone. Being conservative on the priming tabs worked pretty well in carbonating in the growler. I have actually done it again with a recent batch of Caribou Slobber I tried due to not ordering any more caps to bottle all of it. Ended up putting about a quarter gallon in the growler with two priming tabs.

Should you choose to condition in a growler err on the side of caution.